News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A.E. 1A Monophone

Started by BDM, April 10, 2009, 04:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Here's another AE cradle set. It was already in fairly clean shape, except the handset which needed a serious buffing out. Plus someone installed a W.E. dial blank. This set originally had a #24 dial. I found and installed an original type dial along with the chrome open notch finger wheel. The finger wheel is correct for this set.

Nice looking set, very streamlined. Before and after pic.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

Brian, that dial does make that a nice looking phone.  Now you need a dial card ring.  Should it also be chrome?

BDM

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 10, 2009, 05:29:49 PM
Brian, that dial does make that a nice looking phone.  Now you need a dial card ring.  Should it also be chrome?

Actually, I have one and forgot to install it before the photo was shot. They can be either or, black or chrome. I've asked this in the past, and received generally the same answer. Either or. I've seen chrome card rings on black finger wheels also. I would think chrome is the correct one, but it does look good in black. Kind of sets off the chrome wheel.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan

Does this model have optional chrome handset bands, or is this only confined to AE34's and 40's?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

I wish I would have bought that phone! :)

BDM

Quote from: Dan on April 10, 2009, 05:48:36 PM
Does this model have optional chrome handset bands, or is this only confined to AE34's and 40's?

Yes, chrome bands were an option. How early I don't know. This model had over a 15 year run starting in 1925, ending just before the war. Long stretch considering this model was outdated by the mid 30s. The early ones were a tall cradle, but the same other than that.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 10, 2009, 05:49:30 PM
I wish I would have bought that phone! :)

It does grow on you. Would even grow more with chrome bands ;) I've said this before, and I'll say it again. It's a better looking design than the W.E. B1 or D1 mounts. Matter of opinion, but many have agreed. AE made some nice looking sets, with the AE34 as my favorite. I need to get my hands on one :P
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

Of course I can't find my chrome dial ring. I've been looking for the last hour. Here's a pic with a black one.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

Could the bands on this one be stripped and polished?  Or would you rather keep it original?

Also, have you ever done an article on how to buff out a handset?  You get very good results, and such an article would be really helpful.
= DARRIN =

BDM

Bing, the bands are bronze. I imaging the chrome bands are plated. As far as polishing, nothing special here. I really don't have the kind of luck I'd like to see. I've been practicing with different chemicals and buffers. I've had the best luck either hand rubbing them, or using a Ryobi RB60 buffer. The buffer works the best. This handset just needed a good cleaning. It didn't have any rough areas. There is a way to get a nice clean finish from bakelite, but I haven't discovered it yet. Sanding isn't an option for me right now.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

My 16 year old saw it and said, "Whoa, that is one cool looking phone!"

Couldn't have said it better myself.

mienaichizu

I envy you, I'd like to have a phone like that ;D

BDM

Quote from: mienaichizu on April 11, 2009, 08:10:45 PM
I envy you, I'd like to have a phone like that ;D

You can get one. Except the shipping might be tough??? Thanks, it's a nice phone that has really grown on me. Very American deco 1930s. I get the feeling it belongs in a Humphrey Bogart movie ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

GG

Re. the metal bands on the handset:  Black is correct for a black 1A Monophone, chrome or brass for the colored ones.  Chrome was also correct for type 34 and the 40-series Monophones in black.  So I'd suggest leaving the bands on that one black.

For the dial: AE issued chrome with chrome and black with black.  The reason you see chrome dial card retainers on black dials and vice-versa is that the local telcos and the various refurb outfits did that for expedience when they ran out of the matching number rings. 

The baseplate of those 1A units was equipped with a round rubber gasket similar to what's on the 34 and 40-series Monophones; there are some sources of repros available (I can't recall the exact source).  Or you can do an acceptable substitute by using black felt or similar heavy fabric, secured with a ring inside the baseplate that you can make from any strip stock such as the brass strips you can find at hobby shops that sell Plastruct and similar model-maker supplies.  However, fabric will slip on the table while dialing (and get pulled off the table easily), so consider placing a few self-stick nonskid pads under it to prevent that.

The weak spot on the 1A is the cradle: the plastic "ears" can get broken off easily.  So this has to be treated as being more delicate than the WE 200-series handset cradles: "replace receiver carefully after calling" and all that. 

Like the WE 200-series sets, this needs a 4-conductor cord and a subset with an induction coil, to enable wiring up the speech circuit per original. 

BDM

Quote from: GG on February 13, 2011, 01:03:36 AM

Re. the metal bands on the handset:  Black is correct for a black 1A Monophone, chrome or brass for the colored ones.  Chrome was also correct for type 34 and the 40-series Monophones in black.  So I'd suggest leaving the bands on that one black.

For the dial: AE issued chrome with chrome and black with black.  The reason you see chrome dial card retainers on black dials and vice-versa is that the local telcos and the various refurb outfits did that for expedience when they ran out of the matching number rings. 

The baseplate of those 1A units was equipped with a round rubber gasket similar to what's on the 34 and 40-series Monophones; there are some sources of repros available (I can't recall the exact source).  Or you can do an acceptable substitute by using black felt or similar heavy fabric, secured with a ring inside the baseplate that you can make from any strip stock such as the brass strips you can find at hobby shops that sell Plastruct and similar model-maker supplies.  However, fabric will slip on the table while dialing (and get pulled off the table easily), so consider placing a few self-stick nonskid pads under it to prevent that.

The weak spot on the 1A is the cradle: the plastic "ears" can get broken off easily.  So this has to be treated as being more delicate than the WE 200-series handset cradles: "replace receiver carefully after calling" and all that. 

Like the WE 200-series sets, this needs a 4-conductor cord and a subset with an induction coil, to enable wiring up the speech circuit per original. 

Interesting on the chrome bands. Thanks for the info on the rubber base gasket. This is a shelf queen and will probably never have a dial tone through it again. But the rubber gasket I would like to obtain ;)

Brian
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI