News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first North Galion

Started by TelePlay, April 26, 2014, 09:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Posting this because you never forget your first so am kind of proud and happy to have added this North Electric Galion to my collection.

A relative of the WE 302 (of which I probably have too many), I saw this sitting on eBay at $24 with just a few minutes left in the 7 day auction and only 2 bids. It looked to be in great shape so I out sniped someone at the end and took the phone home for $34 plus $13 shipping.

North-Electric-Vintage-Desk-Telephone-Nice  ( eBay link no longer active -- 8/7/2015 )

eBay Description: "Very nice all original 1950's North Electric desk telephone manufactured by North Electric Mfg. Co. Galion Ohio.  The bakelite receiver and phone body have no cracks or chips and have the original line and handset cords.  The inside electrical components appear complete and original.  The dial spins nice and freely.  There is a partial sticker left on the center of the dial which I did not attempt to remove.  Please review all the pictures and feel free to ask any questions before bidding and I will answer them asap.  Thank you for looking & Good Luck :-) USA Buyers Only Please!"

The only disappointment was the base said St. Line Ringer when in fact it had a frequency ringer installed. This phone must have been sitting in good storage in someone's attic for decades.

The best part about it, besides it's condition, was the chrome finger wheel and number card holder. The phone came with a nasty round sticker on the outside of a yellowed and cracked acetate disk so all I had to do was throw in a new disk to display the original number card.

The dirtiest part was the handset cord. It had some sort of red dust inside the coils that did not respond well to a soap and water soaking. After trying a few other solvents, discovered that WD-40 cleaned it up real nice. Just used Novus 2 on the housing and a proven Bakelite restoration technique on the handset to restore the phone nicely. That number plate came looking like it was a NOS item.

The suede feet had what looked like gray paint on all four of them so the covers were replaced using a jig I had to make to handle North foot pads (they are not the same shape as a WE 302 foot pad).

The top photo is the "after" restoration shot and the photos below that are the "before" shots captured from the eBay auction.

Fabius

Good looking clean shiny phone.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

paul-f

Nicely done, John!

I have always enjoyed working on the H-series.  In my opinion, they were among the most elegant looking of the bakelite sets
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

GTE Rick

Small in size ... Smart in Style ... and it has a lighted dial.

Mr. Bones

Very nice phone! I've yet to come across the right one, at the right time, but do admire the elegant design!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Fabius

There are several of these on eBay right now but none as nice as yours.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

I forgot to put the dates in my first post. It seems to be a date matching phone built in September of 1950 with a few older items out of inventory.

Base (in black ink) 9-50
Hook switch (in black ink) 9-50
101A Coil (in black ink) III 50 I
Handset (in red ink) 9-50

AE Dial 3-49
Transmitter 5-49
Receiver 6-20-50

WesternElectricBen

cloyd

I am shopping for my first (and only) Galion phone.  Like most everyone here, I want a good deal without loads of work.  I am wondering how one tells if the dial is appropriate for the phone if it has a number card covering up the center.  Also, are parts available if I buy one without a dial center or a ringer etc.  What pitfalls should I watch out for?  I have already read Paul's site regarding the look-alikes.  I do most of my shopping on eBay.  (I have promised myself to never buy another phone off ebay if they don't post pictures of the interior.)
Thanks for the coaching,
Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

Doug Rose

Tina...I have a beauty that a buyer did not pay and I am going to relist...Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301691556998
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 07, 2015, 06:34:59 PM
Tina...I have a beauty that a buyer did not pay and I am going to relist...Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301691556998

That happens with new buyers, that's why I have my auctions set up not to accept bids form buyer with less than 3 feedback.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

That came out really nice John, looks new! What is the "proven bakelite restoration method" you used on the handset, if you don't mind me asking?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry...I use the same bakelite restoration that I have used forever, fine steel wool with Brasso or Noxon. The Avon SSS, To be, it is bakelites best friend.....formerly John....now Doug  8)
Kidphone

HarrySmith

I know your method Doug! I was referring to John's post that opened this topic.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 07, 2015, 07:55:15 PM
I know your method Doug! I was referring to John's post that opened this topic.

Harry,

I posted it here

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12264.0

for posterity. It's a variation of Doug's method.