News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Circle Punch for Number Cards

Started by cihensley@aol.com, May 22, 2011, 01:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cihensley@aol.com

Several months ago I posted a picture of a picture of something called a button machine used to cut out precise circles. It can be used to cut out number plates with far more accuracy than the hard-to-use Fiskar cutter available at most craft stores. The drawback to the button machine is its cost of around $90. Here is a circle punch I found that works easily and precisely, and is relatively inexpensive. Go to scrapbooks.com for the punch.

I use PowerPoint to create number cards, either directly downloaded from telephone archive or modified with a specific telephone number. Here is a sample. I print these on HP brochure& flyer paper.

Chuck

Phonesrfun

Chuck:

The picture shown shows a serrated putside pattern.  Doe it come in a straight circle?  I would imagine it does.  How do you do the notches on the side?
-Bill G

cihensley@aol.com

Bill:

Yes, it does. I posted the wrong picture. I cut the notch out with a straight edge and Exacto knife. The blade should be very sharp. I change blade abgout every 10-15 notches. The depth of the notch is critical (the distance from the deepest part of the notch to the opposite edge of the cut out number card). This is because the tab on the number holder ring is right on the viewing edge. If you cut the notch too deep it will be visible when the number card is mounted.

Chuck

teka-bb

Looks like a very usefull tool.

I was wondering how to line it up over the number card you want to punch but that seems to be easy.

You just turn it around and look through the hole in the bottom of the punch.

The video on this page shows how it works:
http://www.expotv.com/videos/reviews/1/24/EkSuccessMediumNestingPaperShape/102301
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

cihensley@aol.com

teka-bb:

Yes, you hold it upsidedown to see the circle you are cutting. Plus, I oversize the printed number cards by 0.05" - that is, they are 1.55"in diameter. This is easy to do in PowerPoint. Thus, you don't have to be as precise in positioning them for punching. If they were exactly 1.50" in diameter you spend an inordinate amount of time positioning to avoid any slight white portion appearing on the punched number card.

Chuck

Phonesrfun

Chuck:

Taking your advice, I am now going to ditch my Fiskar circle cutter in favor of a circle punch.  Actually, if I need to make an AE dial center, I will still have the circle cutter.

I went to Jo Ann Fabrics again tonight on the way home from work and looked in the scrap-booking section for a punch.  They did not have the brand and style of the one you showed, but they did have a Fiskars "Easy Squeeze" 1.5 inch punch, and it was on sale for 40% off.  I paid $7.79 plus tax.

It makes perfect circles, and it is very easy to line up to center the dial center exact every time.  I have to admit that the circle cutter was a little hit-and-miss.  The punch is dead on every time.

Here are a couple links to what I got, and it seems that the Fiskars web site wants more for the thing than Jo Ann.  Jo Ann's regular price is $12.99

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Crafting/Punches/Squeeze-Punches/Round-n-Round-Squeeze-Punch-Large

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd57307
-Bill G

TelePlay

Bought one of these on e-Bay a few months ago. Works great. And, the price plus shipping was far less than driving around trying to find a craft store that had that size with a circle, and not a scallop, cutter in stock. After looking in a few stores that didn't have them, I went to e-Bay. All other tips on use in this thread are very good.

cihensley@aol.com

Here are scans I took of some old number cards I have. If any one needs a high resolution print of any of the three card scans I have posted, send me a direct email at: cihensley@aol.com

Chuck

Sargeguy

I just bought one at Jo-Ann's,they are 40% off this week.  It works like a charm. Imake custom dial cards  so this thing will come in handy.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dsk

Looks like the fixed diameter punch is the best, but different phones use different diameters.

so, I am back to the Fiskars tool. Not easy to get it in center. Trying out an extra ring drawn at Ø=94 mm for centrating.

Hints and tips?

dsk

Phonesrfun

Western electric dial centers were all 1.5 inches.  AE were yet a different size, and I am sure European sizes were not only different, but were measured in centimeters, rather than inches. 

My only hope of doing other than Western dial centers is to keep the variable circle cutter around, and yes that one is a challenge to get the circle to be centered.  I am finding that the circle punch is very easy to line up.
-Bill G

cihensley@aol.com

d_s_k and Bill:

Use the button machine: americanbuttonmachine.com   I have attached a picture of the model I have. The picture shows the cutter shaft is adjustable in increments you probably don't want. But, you turn over the shaft and set any increment you need. After a couple of experimental settings, you set it precisely at what you need. It costs about $90, but is as easy to use as the circle punch. You can align the number cards visually, just like circle punch.

Chuck

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on May 30, 2011, 01:14:07 PM
Western electric dial centers were all 1.5 inches.  AE were yet a different size, and I am sure European sizes were not only different, but were measured in centimeters, rather than inches. 

My only hope of doing other than Western dial centers is to keep the variable circle cutter around, and yes that one is a challenge to get the circle to be centered.  I am finding that the circle punch is very easy to line up.

The AE repros I have from OPW are about 1 5/8.  Based on the feedback I've seen here, I'm going to stop by the JAF that's on my way to work to see if they have them.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

pieboy977

What did the Phone Company use back in the day to puch out perfect Western Electric Number cards?

oldguy

This is what I use for Western Electric ("Recollections" brand 1 1/2"). I got it at Michael's, a craft store, for about $9 on sale, I think they are normally about $12. On some dials I have to trim the punched out dial card a little.
Gary