News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trouble with WE 302 H3 9/38

Started by Doug Rose, September 08, 2011, 04:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I found a Western Electric Metal H3 dated 9/38 throughout. At some point a #6 dial was added to it and new cords. It is exactly how I found it. 4 prong on end has red and yellow on one pin and green on the other. The phone is like new and I don't think it saw a lot of service.

The trouble is, as shown the phone rings fine and conversation is loud and clear, but I cannot break dial tone. I remove the yellow ground wire and the phone dials out with no issue, but no ring. This is a strange set up and the hookswitch has additional wires coming out and dial tone does not connect to the coil, but to blocks by the condenser .

Any insight on this would be appreciated....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

I think this is a 304 set not a 302.look for a diagram to change it to bridging ringing.
Robby

Doug Rose

Robbie...any idea where? There is nothing in the TCI library or the Forum diagrams....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

I think there is something here. This has been disscussed before. Is your ringer 2 or 4 wire?.the wire on M on the inc coil will need to be removed . I will see what I have
Robby

Wallphone

Doug, If you have a 4 wire ringer here is a nice diagram that D/P did for a 304 phone.
Other Doug

Doug Rose

Quote from: Wallphone on September 08, 2011, 08:30:47 PM
Doug, If you have a 4 wire ringer here is a nice diagram that D/P did for a 304 phone.
Other Doug
Thanks Doug .....I appreciate this, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. What was the use of a 304?....I thought I was Other Doug
Kidphone

Wallphone

You're Welcome Doug. I think that the 304 used the center tap (M) on the 101B coil to identify one customer from another on a Party Line so they could be billed for long distance calls.
Doug Pav

paul-f

Doug R:  Here's a quick refresher on finding out about 300-series variations.

1. Go to http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#Single and look down the table for the mounting code on your set -- H3.

2. Note the model number is 304 (as Doug P reported).

3. Look up some of the BSPs in the TCI Library (or your personal copies, of course).  Find a match for several giving background info and this one with connection info:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=2792&Itemid=2

Now you can see if the wiring options shown answer your questions or compare the wiring to a standard 302 (H1).
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

Quote from: Wallphone on September 08, 2011, 08:30:47 PM
Other Doug
I went through Dan's schematic and best of my knowledge, everything is correct. Either it rings or dials, pending on the yellow ground wire. I don't know anything about a 304, so I am stumped. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me. Bizarre!!..Doug
Kidphone