"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Millennium with Keyboard

Started by martin, December 29, 2016, 10:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Quote from: Duffy on May 16, 2018, 06:05:24 PM
That Millennium is in Maumee, Ohio, United States.

Sorry, you are right. I don't know what I was reading that made me think Canada.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sigmaz

Quote from: Duffy on May 16, 2018, 05:51:29 PM
There is an Millennium on eBay for sale.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Payphone-Northern-Telecom-Millennium-USA-Canada-Original-No-Locks-Vault-Door/112993267674

That one was posted by my request.
The seller has the two Ohio state phones for sale and I asked if he had a non branded specimen.
He told me he'd put one up.... there it is.

Payphone installer

I would like to see a video of the phone collecting a coin on a completed coin and returning a coin on a incomplete call. Does,anybody out there have the phone doing this in any version? Demo,or otherwise?

Sigmaz

Quote from: Payphone installer on May 16, 2018, 10:05:55 PM
I would like to see a video of the phone collecting a coin on a completed coin and returning a coin on a incomplete call. Does,anybody out there have the phone doing this in any version? Demo,or otherwise?

I'd like to see that too. I know that in the wild they need to communicate with the MM tandem.

But do they handle coin independently or do they require a coin line?

With their own wall wart I guess they could technically handle it internally.

That would be neat to discover.

Payphone installer

So I watched all the videos on YouTube including the one in demo. I did not see a completed call on any of them. The one that is supposed to have a demo chip did not complete a call. All numbers dialed resulted in a Central Office message. Nothing that I could see completed. One did collect a coin on a central office message. I suspect that was default. During many of the attempted calls I heard repeated SIC tones in the background which indicates that any digits that are being sent to the CO (central office) are wrong and do not exist with in that calling area. This would result from no rate phone in the phone. Meaning since the phone was a hybrid it required a CO rate file. After listening I think that it is possible that the phone called for the rating. It may be that the phone is dialing a number to acquie its rates that has now been disconnected. You would not hear this number but you could obtain it by placing a digit grabber on the phone. If you watch the video of the demo phone you keep seeing it saying calling telinet. This is very interesting as I think this may be the platform that the phone called to obtain its information to function. I stick with my original prediction. You will never get this phone to work properly because of the complex interaction with the central office or some other unknown data base where it called for rates on every call. I know that Cincinnati Bell choose to never use these phones to to the recurring cost of accessing that data base.

My Millennium is hooked up to my land line and is running the demo firmware, in order to make a call you must first dial the number and then it will ask for a card or to deposit coins. When you use the coins or card it completes the call, when the phone hung up it returns the coins to the change return chute. At no time are the coins sent to the vault. It does work fine to make out going calls.

That is how it works on mine. I don't know if it can be changed in the firmware or not to make the coins go to the vault.

I would make you a video, but I don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry calling me after seeing my two telephone numbers. lol

Calls can be made to this phone as well. It doesn't ring, but it shows you in the display that there is an in coming call.

Payphone installer

That is interesting and answers quite a few questions. The reason it is returning the money on a completed call is because it have no answer detect built into the demo. So it defaults to return the money when the phone is hung up. As fat as completion of a card call the demo most only look for a card swipe nothing more. That all it could be because there is no card validation company associated with the phone and separate from that no way to bill the card because you have no arrangement with a billing company. So we are now narrowing down what the demo version does. It simply allows the phone to take the coin hold it in escrow and return it when the handset is hung up. Nothing more it has no smart features at all. If you don't deposit a coin and dial a number what happens?

HarrySmith

Quote from: Duffy on May 17, 2018, 08:49:50 AM

I would make you a video, but I don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry calling me after seeing my two telephone numbers. lol

I would not be calling, unless I needed something!
Harry
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

Coin relays are polarty sensitive .You could put a hidden switch or wire backwards

Quote from: Payphone installer on May 17, 2018, 04:47:12 PM
As far as completion of a card call the demo most only look for a card swipe nothing more. That all it could be because there is no card validation company associated with the phone and separate from that no way to bill the card because you have no arrangement with a billing company.

Not all cards work, it must be a older credit card or a Bell calling card.

So we are now narrowing down what the demo version does. It simply allows the phone to take the coin hold it in escrow and return it when the handset is hung up. Nothing more it has no smart features at all.

Depending on which version of phone you have, you can access programing mode and make it use some of it's features.

If you don't deposit a coin and dial a number what happens?

Nothing, it asks for payment. You must deposit coins or use the card to makes outside calls.

Quote from: HarrySmith on May 17, 2018, 04:50:09 PM
I would not be calling, unless I needed something!
Harry

Harry, you can call me anytime! :)

Jim Stettler

As fat as completion of a card call the demo most only look for a card swipe nothing more.
I would try swiping cards from your wallet. I think it would work. Start with your "grocery store" card.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Quote from: Jim S. on May 17, 2018, 07:39:02 PM
I would try swiping cards from your wallet. I think it would work. Start with your "grocery store" card.
JMO,
Jim S.

Nope, done that. It has to be an older credit card or Bell calling card due to the rates set at the time (year) the firmware was made.

Payphone installer

Its not reading the card only the stripe. There are no smarts to determine anything. Its not connected to anything. Its a car with no engine.