News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Field Trial 500? F-51674-R Discussion

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, April 07, 2016, 02:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Someone set a very high bid on the 10th. If that last second snipe at $607 had not been placed, the new owner would have gotten the phone for $208 or so. That one sniper, who did not win the phone, pushed the price up to $617.

Once again, have no idea of what the new owner's high bid was but it was higher than $607.

Yes, strange indeed. This whole situation would have gone unnoticed had it not been for unbeldi's great memory and file retrieval system to the original discussion of this phone, this topic . . .   :)

Why would someone pay over $1,000 for a phone and a month or so later list it with no reserve at $10?

unbeldi

Well, it was fairly easy to spot.  There aren't many tone ringer phones around, and the scratch marks on the bottom where someone filed off a rivet were easy to remember.

It's not so strange really, I think.  The bagger got carried away in his bidding to begin with when he bought the set, too big for his bag. Finally he discovered he got much less than he should have had for the price and tried to recoup his Yankee dollars.  Polished it up some and took his chances.  I wouldn't be surprised if he cancel the sale and it shows up again soon.  This was about the fourth time, this set was offered in the last year, I think.

Pourme

Can you cancel a sale after the hammer? I didn't know you could do that. What reason would you be required to state?
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

poplar1

Quote from: Pourme on November 11, 2016, 07:44:51 PM
Can you cancel a sale after the hammer? I didn't know you could do that. What reason would you be required to state?

Here are the options for a seller to cancel after the sale:

Why do you want to cancel this order?

--I'm out of stock or the item is damaged

--The buyer asked to cancel the order, or there's an issue with the buyer's address

Sellers will usually not pick the first option, because an "out of stock" counts as a defect against the seller.

So, they pick the second option -- even if it has absolutely nothing to do with the reason for canceling!
Also, Ebay says that the buyer must agree to the cancellation, but that's not true!

I have had two auctions canceled lately, where I was the winning bidder. I found out only when Ebay sent me a message saying the auction was canceled. One seller said she had meant to list it as an auction rather than a buy-it-now. The other said she canceled my order by mistake, while trying to cancel some unpaid items. Neither would let me purchase the item, and there was no way to leave neutral or negative feedback. (Ebay said to go to the ebay.ca site after 7 days, and that I could leave the feedback there, even though I coudn't leave it on the U.S. site where I had bought the items.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Pourme

I fear we are getting off subject, one more comment and I will stop.
I had a auction canceled this week. I was the only buyer on the min bid of $25 on a 302 % Continental combo package. The auction wasn't ended yet. The reason was the msd was "lost or broken". I was going to send a screen shot but I can't find any record of the auction anywhere on EBAY not even a note of the auction #. This is the email contact I had with the seller:

New message from: myretirementfun  Top Rated Seller(743Purple Star)
Some how I missed that the black mouth cap was chipped bad I will take new pictures and show it and state it
Your previous message

If this item was lost or broken, I'm sure we won't see it relisted.

Benny
Get to know myretirementfun

•   Located: Dearborn, MI, United States
•   Positive Feedback: 100%

It upsets me that EBAY users (customers) doing business by EBAY's "rules" can be treated so cavalierly!

I will shut up now...
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Partyline4

I think this Yankee fellow just got caught up in the hype over this phone and perhaps got a word that it could be worth much more than he paid for it. Unfortunately, I think the coverage he received on this website didn't help him, I think it in fact HURT his chances of getting his money back. He lied about the set as well, as well as added a dial ring....

I knew once they started talking about it on this forum that he wouldn't get his money back. Heck, the buyer is probably on the forum!

TelePlay

The historical chronology of this phone follows constructed from the above posts.

First listed by suzhoop27 (West Orange, NJ) in early April in a 5 day auction starting at $25
     Seller ended the listing early with the reason: " This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."
Next listed by booguy27 (West Orange, NJ) in late May in a 10 day auction starting at $600
     Seller ended the listing early with the reason: " This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."
Next listed by boogy27 (West Orange, NJ) in early June in a 10 day auction starting at $499
     Auction attracted 3 bidders and sold for $1,045
Next listed in early November by yankee-carpetbaggers (Salem, MA) in a 7 day auction starting at $19.99
     Auction attracted 6 bidders and sold for $617.99

NOTE: When the phone sold for $1,045, there were 3 bidders, one of which was a last second snipe on June 12th by d***d ( 21 ) at  17:22:06 for $1,020.00 (auction ended at 17:22:12). This snipe increased the previous high bid of $555 but did not top a high bid placed by g***c ( 1421 ) at 14:37:48 so the phone was sold for the snipe bid plus the minimum increase by eBay of $25, or, it sold for $1,045. The person who sniped the phone did not bid on the eBay listing that was the subject of an auction contest. The buyer of the $617 phone was r***e ( 217 ) who did not bid in the $1,045 auction.

jsowers

Excellent recap, John. The bidder who ended up with the phone, r***e (217) is, from the handles list:

sqwerel   r***e   85   4-Jun-12   Leslie   Gardner   USA, California

The 217 feedbacks check out when you search for that member on eBay. Not an active forum member, I don't think.
Jonathan