"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I Don't Know Why I Bought This

Started by LarryInMichigan, September 07, 2012, 04:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

ebay link

This phone has a crack and is missing a chunk in the corner, and I don't like beige, but AFAIK, these are rare in colors other than black, and it was fairly cheap (free shipping).

Larry

twocvbloke

I like how they say the ringer is missing, but on the baseplate shot, you can clearly see the gongs and even the clapper... :D

Probably another case of the "move the one wire over" fix... :D

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: twocvbloke on September 07, 2012, 05:03:00 PM
I like how they say the ringer is missing, but on the baseplate shot, you can clearly see the gongs and even the clapper... :D

Probably another case of the "move the one wire over" fix... :D

I hadn't even noticed that.  The majority of the North "Galion"s were equipped with frequency ringers, so this may have one and therefore not ring.

At any rate, the break in the shell will not be quite so easy to fix.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

BTW, the gongs on these are attached to the bottom plate, not the ringer, so gongs alone are not an indication of the presence of a ringer.  The clapper is though.

Larry

poplar1

So did Leich sell a kit to convert the North Bakelite sets?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

twocvbloke

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 07, 2012, 05:19:52 PMThe majority of the North "Galion"s were equipped with frequency ringers, so this may have one and therefore not ring.

Could be, but with one of them Linksys PAPT2 things, you can set the ringer frequency it puts out, so it can be made to ring, though dialling would be difficult as they only take DTMF as far as I know... ???

Still, it's a wait and see thing, got to wait for the phone to arrive to play with, I mean thoroughly study and examine... :D

LarryInMichigan

Amazingly, the phone arrived today.  It was mailed in Canyon City, OR on Saturday, only two days ago.  The plastics are ABS.  There are chunks missing front the right front and left rear corners.  The ringer is a frequency ringer with a thick, stiff reed, so there is little hope of making it ring.

The North base is dated 12 48, but stamped in red ink onto the paper on top of the condenser is:

"INSPECTED
JUN 27 1962
HF"

The dial is an old AE type 24 with the AE logo in an oval on the back.  The handset contains an F1 transmitter from 1947 and an HA1 receiver from 1948.

Larry

paul-f

Larry,

Which ringer coil is in there?  Large weights are on the lower frequency ringers, so there' s a chance you can tweak it to ring.

There's some North ringer catalog info summarized on this page:
  http://www.paul-f.com/NorthRingers.html
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HowardPgh

I think that would look nice next to a WE 5302.
Howard

I like it because it is unusual.
Howard