"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Panasonic 616 Inside House Wiring

Started by Fabius, April 20, 2014, 11:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on April 20, 2014, 12:34:16 PM
is the 61610 and earlier version of the 616?

I seem to recall the 61610 is the newer version, but they may be the same, just one a shorthand way of naming it. There are two different software, or firmware versions and that, if I remember correrctly, is where the circle 3 comes into play. Twocvbloke did a long topic on this Panasonic PBX family with a lot of questions you have answered within.

I replaced the backup battery in my two with new ones not knowing the condition of the battery in them when received. The backup battery is important only if you do special programming (and there are two manuals for that on line - one for each software version). About $10 or $12 each online. Make sure you get the right size and right connector.

The KX-T7130 plugs into port 1 of either the 616 or 308 for programming.

The only thing to be aware of is that the 616 or 308 has the modular plug connections rather than a multiple pair connector to a punch down block version. Most I've seen on eBay are the modular type.

poplar1

If you want Caller ID with a KX-T61610--one solution is to connect 2 pairs at each jack:
1st pair: connected to an individual extension jack on the Panasonic
2nd pair: connected to the outside line

Then you can connect a caller ID display box that  is separate from the phone at each location that needs that feature.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290976710069

Is your house currently wired with one 4-conductor wire or does it have more conductors? If it is one 4-pair (8 wires), even if it is daisy chained to each room,  you could still connect 3 different Panasonic extensions (3 pairs, a different pair used in each room) and use the 4th pair for the outside line/caller ID on all 3 phones.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Poplar1
Is your house currently wired with one 4-conductor wire or does it have more conductors? If it is one 4-pair (8 wires), even if it is daisy chained to each room,  you could still connect 3 different Panasonic extensions (3 pairs, a different pair used in each room) and use the 4th pair for the outside line/caller ID on all 3 phones.
Extremely good point that I had not considered!   :)
-Bill G

Fabius

The house was wired for one jack only. Talk about a contractor saving a few bucks! If the CO line plus into a standard modular jack on the 818 I'd be okay with that.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on April 20, 2014, 08:10:20 PM
The house was wired for one jack only.

Did you take off the wall plate (any wall plate), remove the modular jack and look at the wire coming into the wall box? It should have at least 2 pairs, 3 pairs are in my old place. I can't imagine a contractor buying one pair wire. They use just one pair for a one jack outlet but there has to be at least 3 pair coming into each wall box. Could be as many as 6 or 8 pairs. I may be wrong but one pair just or "wired for one jack only" does not seem right.

Fabius

Forgive me if this has already been posted. You Tube video of a 616 system in a guy's house. Is he a forum member?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-iBcyh4ovQ

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

twocvbloke

The system in that vid is a KX-TD816 rather than a KX-T616, but the principle's the same... :)