News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What's a good polish for removing chipped paint from a 302 plastic shell?

Started by RotoTech99, May 19, 2014, 08:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

I have a thermoplastic WE 302 shell with chipped paint that was most likely from an original refurb.

Is there a polish that would be good for removing it, and then could be used to cleanup/shine it?  I have heard of Simichrome being used, but haven't tried it.  I have used Brasso but have found it's not good at removing old paint, but does well in shining up plastic.

Does anyone have suggestions or advice; I'd like to remove the old paint and shine up the shell rather than repainting is mainly why, but I figure it might be useful on other phone shells as well

Thanks,
RotoTech99
eburnett99@ yahoo.com

TelePlay

Use the search button in the above tool bar and enter the word "polane" without the quotes. You will get a lot of hits on how others have tried to remove paint.

Polane is a polyurethane paint that is very hard to remove.

Other paints can be removed with any of several paint strippers, but always after testing a spot inside the shell with a bit of the stripper to see if it does harm to the plastic. Some strippers will dissolve the plastic depending on what type of plastic the shell is made from.

You can also search for "stripper" and read the search results that seem applicable.

There is also a large body of information in Telephone Restoration Techniques.

I know this doesn't "answer" you question but it's a place for you to start.

Post pictures of the phone along with the phone information and others may be able to guide you more directly.