News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Coding on AE80 w. loop compensator

Started by RotoTech99, August 23, 2014, 02:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

I have an AE 80D with the loop compensator rheostat that has the following code on it N81W20 I am familiar with most of the
coding for AE 80's, but this one particular code escapes my memory.

Can someone "refresh" my memory on this?  I figure the "N" means it's from the Northlake, IL plant, and the "8" represents "Type 80 desk set, but the "W 20 is what escapes me. The "1" probably refers to the dial or handset cord.

The set's date code read as "11-56-2" so I'm guessing it's a 1956 one.

Any advice, comment and assistance is welcomed.

stub

RotoTech99,
                  Here's all I could find- AE Catalog, 1957,  Buyers Guide , pg. 9 . Look at Steps 1 - 4 on the left column. Can you post a pic of this phone? I don't know what REA wiring is ? Maybe Terry knows!! Sorry , that's all I can find right now.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

RotoTech99

I'll take a pic. of the phone, and its' baseplate, and send them here in just a bit.

RotoTech99

Here are pictures of my AE80 and it's baseplate with the N812w20 coding on it.

I used a Kodak DX3500 digital camera

AE_Collector

I have no idea what REA wiring is other than that REA is Rural Electrification Act set up to get electricity to rural farm areas.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rural_Electrification_Act

I believe that they were involved in getting phone service to some of these areas as well by setting up their own systems. Remember "Green Acres"!

Is there any possibility that REA in this case refers to something else completely such as the treatment done to WE phones for tropical applications? I just think "Rural Electrification Act" whenever I see REA.

Seeing the base codes I would guess that the 20 indicates a 20 cycle ringer as the end of the code is where the ringer is usually specified.

The date code "11-56-2 is November 1956. The third segment of these codes, a 2 in this case has never been decoded. It isn't related to manufacture date but possibly a plant code.

I am not certain what the "N" on all AE models of this era directly refers to. It wouldn't likely be "Northlake" as I don't think it opened until 1958 (?) and Canadian models built at Brockville Ontario were "N's" as well. All of the predecessor AE 40's and 50's codes began with any of several different letters and what ever those letters referred to I have always assumed that N was chosen for the new 80/90 codes.

Terry

JorgeAmely

I wish someone knew what HP-12 and HP-14 means. See photo below ...
Jorge

AE_Collector

Never mind that Jorge, i know what the "16" in 82216 means!!!

Terry