News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Any help? I need some advice

Started by conster, February 15, 2012, 11:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conster

Alright so I am considering buying a Strowger 11 digit telephone. How much do you think I should be willing to pay?

Phonesrfun

Strowger 11 digit dial phones seem to go for a lot.  You obviously want to see inside it first to see if it has been cobbled up, or is reasonably original.  The doorbell button on the front to me looks like some aftermarket attempt to repair the original button.

Don't buy one and expect to hook it up to dial on today's phone lines.  The 11 digit dial used a three wire circuit, rather than 2 and the timing and the whole pulse stream was entirely different than dials from the 1920's on.

Depending on how original it is inside and how much you want it, they can sell on e-bay for close to $800 or $900.  Sometimes even a thousand or more.  Sometimes they go for less.  You never know.   Best thing to do is watch the auctions for a while and get a feel for them.

Strowger candlesticks will generally fetch more.

-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 16, 2012, 12:52:32 AM
Strowger 11 digit dial phones seem to go for a lot.  You obviously want to see inside it first to see if it has been cobbled up, or is reasonably original.  The doorbell button on the front to me looks like some aftermarket attempt to repair the original button.

Don't buy one and expect to hook it up to dial on today's phone lines.  The 11 digit dial used a three wire circuit, rather than 2 and the timing and the whole pulse stream was entirely different than dials from the 1920's on.

Depending on how original it is inside and how much you want it, they can sell on e-bay for close to $800 or $900.  Sometimes even a thousand or more.  Sometimes they go for less.  You never know.   Best thing to do is watch the auctions for a while and get a feel for them.

Strowger candlesticks will generally fetch more.

Note: The phone you show in your photos does not have its original ring button. Yours has been converted for farm use as an intercom as evidenced by the oversized doorbell button on it. Inside, mounted in the center, you will likely find a transformer mounted that is not native to the phone. That will need to be removed. It is unlikely the original switch contacts will be left inside for the ring switch button. However, have a look at the topic about my 11 digit to see what the switch looked like. I bought and refurbished my Strowger back in September.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5482.0

I paid slightly under $600 for mine, but you will pay up to $1000 max for one in mint shape.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

conster

Thanks for all the help! Would it be costly to replace the ring button? If i sell it without modifying it how much do you think it would go for? Do you think the one I have posted pictures of is worth forking out $1000?

Doug Rose

S1000 for the Strowger Stick is a deal.

For the Wood wall phone it is about double of what a perfect one is selling for in my humble opinion. ....Doug
Kidphone

DavePEI

Quote from: conster on February 16, 2012, 10:15:13 AM
Thanks for all the help! Would it be costly to replace the ring button? If i sell it without modifying it how much do you think it would go for? Do you think the one I have posted pictures of is worth forking out $1000?

Replacing the ring button as long as the contacts are still inside is just a matter of some very careful machining, but if the contacts inside are gone, it would be very difficult if they are missing (which they are in most cases). However, I find it difficult to value that phone at $1000, but I have seen some in similar shape go for even more than $1000.

If you watch eBay, you will see some in similar condition going in the range of what I paid for mine (except for one guy who parted his out, and in total is asking way over $1000).

If in perfect shape and needing no work at all, I would set a limit of $1000.

Be aware, that the phone is shown unopened. It may or may not have all its inside components. I'd be a bit wary of it.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Vern P

The wall phones sell for much less that the C/S.   The door bell is very common for these as they were used as intercoms's.

There is a guy in Canada, named Gorden somthing, that sell these.  From the stories on ATCA and TCI, he is someone you do not want to deal with.

Vern P 

DavePEI

Quote from: Vern P on February 16, 2012, 01:04:07 PM
The wall phones sell for much less that the C/S.   The door bell is very common for these as they were used as intercoms's.

There is a guy in Canada, named Gorden somthing, that sell these.  From the stories on ATCA and TCI, he is someone you do not want to deal with.

Vern P  
But the doorbells are not original to the phone. They were added when they were sold to farmers for the use as an intercom,  as were the inside transformer. Most often, the switch for the original button was physically removed as well. Mine was unusual in that the switch was left in when converted, meaning I was able to return it to its original ring switch..

As for the c/s version, you will not find a candlestick version for anything even close to $1000 - they now sell for many times that.

I have been looking for one for a long time, and following the prices. His best bet would be to wait until he finds a wall phone under $600, and even then until he sees a photo of its inside, if he wants to restore it to original.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Doug Rose

I have a beautiful Strowger Stick in Pristine Condition. Looks like it was New Old Stock.
Found it on eBay for $32!!!!

Best part is it came with Jim Beam inside. Closest I will ever come to a Strowger Stick.

It's really true to the original. Dial even spins. It has fooled more than one collector, until I told them "look a little closer" Most sticks do not come with a screw off cap, no matter how well concealed....Doug
Kidphone

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 16, 2012, 02:12:39 PM
I have a beautiful Strowger Stick in Pristine Condition. Looks like it was New Old Stock.
Found it on eBay for $32!!!!

Best part is it came with Jim Beam inside. Closest I will ever come to a Strowger Stick.

It's really true to the original. Dial even spins. It has fooled more than one collector, until I told them "look a little closer" Most sticks do not come with a screw off cap, no matter how well concealed....Doug

Hi Doug:

Was that the one which sold in the past few days, Doug? Guess I answered my own question. It is still there, item # 330686600714.

I was thinking it was amazingly true to the original, and was thinking of doing the same. As with you, and given the current price of the potbelly candlestick version, I thought of buying it (the Jim Beam version, that is), I am sure I will never be able to afford the real deal :-)

Can't help wondering is, was it full?  :)

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Dave:

If you buy a Jim Beam Strowger stick and it is full, you are going to have a whole new experience dealling with Customs and Duty!

Terry

Doug Rose

Mine had previously been consumed. I have had it for about 5 years. Except for the cap, this is not a bad reproduction, considering it is a booze bottle.

My Dad loved these and had them all over the house. He was in a club a lot like ours. Sad thing was, there was no market for the after sale and my Mother literally got pennies on the dollar. Dear Ole Dad paid top bucks for them.

For me, it is the only reproduction in my collection. It sits right out in front in full view. From 5 feet away it looks like the real deal. I got my $32 out of it!!  For sure.

Lately they have been going for over $100. Get your bids in early...Doug
Kidphone

conster

Alright, I finally got a picture of the inside. I'm not sure what to think of it though...

Phonesrfun

It's a keeper.  All original, and quite complete, except for the original button.  Nobody seems to have hacked it.  What is the action like on the dial?  Does it return?

-Bill G

conster

Haven't had the chance to check it out in person yet. Probably going sometime before next week.