News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New candlestick and help ID

Started by Gilas, November 19, 2013, 03:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilas

I recently saw this on Ebay with a BIN of $99 and couldn't pass it up with the receiver and all.  I got it in the other day and was hoping if anyone could give me a bit more info on it.  I haven't had a chance to even start cleaning it yet.  As for marks I can't find any at all.

Thanks
Mike

Sargeguy

It has a western Electric "Hershey Kiss" single piece solid perch with thumb wheel.  These were used by a few companies, including Couch.  Solid transmitters were also commonly used on sticks of this type. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Gilas

Sarge anyway at all to ID it?  Love to find a transmitter for it but would also like to find the appropriate one.

Sargeguy

Can you take some more pictures of the switch, and the inside of the transmitter cup?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

The base sure looks like an American electric base.  Not sure why it wouldn't be marked AE, unless they made it for someone else and left the markings off.
Dave

Sargeguy

On second glance (on a monitor rather than an iPhone) it does not appear to be a WE perch.  The neck is too squat and the ears are too long and pointy.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Gilas

Ok I took it apart today and took some more pictures.  The cup is smaller than a regular one, almost like a 20T size.  Also found a marking I wasn't expecting with what I have seen so far.  ABT Co and maybe 181?

Sargeguy

A.B.T.Co. Usually stands for American Bell telephone Company
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Gilas

I knew that just didnt figure that this would be an ABT I guess.  Almost done cleaning it up and no other marks on it.  Any clues?

Gilas

The cup will need nickeled but for now it looks alot better at least.  Still need to try and figure out what transmitter would have gone on it and find a cap for my Solid receiver.

wds

It looks like A-B.T. Co., which probably isn't American Bell.  Really cleaned up nice though. 
Dave

Gilas

You're right didn't even notice the hyphen.  So my guess would be Ackerman Boland, who according to their flyer, was devoted to the interior telephone for schools, factories etc.  In looking it up the base seems to be the same as some of the older ones that I found.  Now to find a transmitter lol.  Here is what seems to be a later model http://tinyurl.com/l6eqn46

wds

That's it!  I'm sure the correct transmitter will pop up eventually.
Dave

HarrySmith

WOW, I did a little surfing through the site you had linked and was checking out the TOP 50 RAREST CANDLESTICKS.
The Strowger stick did not even break the top 10 :o
I wonder how he compiled that list ???
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

Ackerman Boland was my second choice ::)

Actually I was Googling American Business Telephone and variations on that while at a super boring meeting that I should have skipped.

I think I may have the transmitter that will fit this model.  Is it slightly smaller than a WE or significantly smaller than a WE?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409