News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Explosive Atmosphere 320 on eBay

Started by TelePlay, June 28, 2015, 02:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

When I first started collecting, I heard the Old Timers call them the "Soviet Princess." I am more than happy with mine. A Brimfield find years ago in wonderful condition with the key!....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Someone sold a key in the last few days on Ebay.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on July 02, 2015, 08:30:14 AM
Someone sold a key in the last few days on Ebay.

Looks like it was in an explosion . . .  ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-key-for-EXPLOSION-PROOF-phones-Rare-/331577678793

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

DavePEI

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 02, 2015, 09:27:53 PM
darn! Sorry I missed that >:(
Now, that is a darn good photo. If only someone had the correct blank, it would be easy to cut a working key just from the photo... Measurements and everything!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

Quote from: DavePEI on July 03, 2015, 04:18:26 AMIf only someone had the correct blank, it would be easy to cut a working key just from the photo.

Yes, you're right. And there is an App, or Apps for that. Here's one of many vendors providing keys from photos.

https://keysduplicated.com/

Do a Google search for "make a key from a photo" and you'll get a lot of similar links.

And, not only you will have a duplicated key but so will every one else.   ;)

I didn't go into the site so don't know what they use, of anything, for a blank. I suspect they may not have to have the blank. Where would they find and stock blanks for everything? For only $6, and if I had a smart phone, it would be interesting to try this on a payphone key.

EDIT:  They don't cut all or any keys so maybe it is a common blank cutting service.

Dave F

Quote from: DavePEI on July 03, 2015, 04:18:26 AM
<snip>... If only someone had the correct blank, it would be easy to cut a working key just from the photo...

The problem is that this particular key blank is not readily available.  Jody (and probably others as well) have the ability to hand-make blanks and cut keys that will work but, from a collector's standpoint, having the genuine W.E. article is definitely preferable.  Also, remember that having the key is not a requirement for accessing the interior of the 320, as the lock can easily be removed from behind the faceplate with just a screwdriver.

DF

DavePEI

Quote from: Dave F on July 03, 2015, 01:09:49 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on July 03, 2015, 04:18:26 AM
<snip>... If only someone had the correct blank, it would be easy to cut a working key just from the photo...

The problem is that this particular key blank is not readily available.  Jody (and probably others as well) have the ability to hand-make blanks and cut keys that will work but, from a collector's standpoint, having the genuine W.E. article is definitely preferable.  Also, remember that having the key is not a requirement for accessing the interior of the 320, as the lock can easily be removed from behind the faceplate with just a screwdriver.

DF
Speaking as a collector, the ability to retain the original lock is preferable to removing the lock and to not being able to use it at all. Remember, I said if you had a blank, you could make a key from the photo. Still, I would prefer to have Jody cut a key rather than to have none at all.

Do you use only Western Electric solder, too :) ?

Now, remember, I was speaking only hypothetically. I, too, have had to remove the locks from both my 320 and 2520. But, I would have preferred to retain them.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dave F

Quote from: DavePEI on July 03, 2015, 02:05:05 PM

Speaking as a collector, the ability to retain the original lock is preferable to removing the lock and to not being able to use it at all. Remember, I said if you had a blank, you could make a key from the photo. Still, I would prefer to have Jody cut a key rather than to have none at all.

Do you use only Western Electric solder, too :) ?

Now, remember, I was speaking only hypothetically. I, too, have had to remove the locks from both my 320 and 2520. But, I would have preferred to retain them.

Dave
Certainly it is nicer (more "professional"?) to keep the lock installed in the phone than to remove it.  My point was that in the case of the 320, as opposed to any payphone, it is not necessary to have a key to gain access to the inside.  Having any key, even a homemade one, for a payphone is essentially a necessity, whereas with a 320 we have the luxury of waiting for a real W.E. key without the inconvenience of not being able to open the phone.

(Almost all the soldering I do does not involve Western Electric phones, so I find Kester a reasonable substitute!)

DF

andre_janew

Wait!  Are you saying that Western Electric has their own brand of solder?

Dave F

Quote from: andre_janew on July 03, 2015, 04:49:09 PM
Wait!  Are you saying that Western Electric has their own brand of solder?
W.E. used mostly Nassau solder, but I would bet that there is plenty of "off-brand" solder kicking around in W.E. products.  Unlike with keys, there is no easy way to tell the difference!

DF

rdelius

WE/Nassau solder brings high prices on ebay,so does WE wire on spools

DavePEI

Quote from: rdelius on July 03, 2015, 06:12:41 PM
WE/Nassau solder brings high prices on ebay,so does WE wire on spools
Example 5lb spool for?????:
C*NET 1-651-0001

andre_janew

At that price, the spool had better be as big around as my dining room table (42 inches or about 105 cm).

TelePlay

This phone, unlike the one in the first post of this topic, seems to be in very good, seller stated NOS, condition but again, wrongly described in the title "Industrial Explosion Proof Crouse Hinds Telephone." Based on the image date stamps, this phone may have been listed before on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vtg-Industrial-Explosion-Proof-Crouse-Hinds-Telephone-works-s212-U-wall-mount-/181944038896

Is it not the case that if this phone were to be in an explosion of sorts, the handset and its cord would most likely to survive? Same as with the WE 320 if caught in an explosion. However, the point of this post is to show a different version of the 320, both "Explosive atmosphere" phones.