"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Payphone Controller Installation Instructions

Started by GeorgeHC, June 29, 2018, 12:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeHC

Hi All,

I bought this payphone controller on eBay and it just arrived.   Installation/user instructions are included on a CD Rom but I am currently using an iPad with no CD Rom drive (my laptop gave up last week). 

Just wondering if the installation instructions for this unit have been posted here on this forum or elsewhere on the web in the past. 

Hoping to install it on one of my Northern Electric 233HS3/4 payphones or on my Western 233G.

Thanks

George

Ktownphoneco

George  ....    welcome to the forum.    Yes, it is, but I couldn't pull up the link to the page, so I just downloaded it and re-posted it here.    This one is probably from the older version of the controller, but the newer version probably installs in the same fashion.     It's attached.

Jeff Lamb   

GeorgeHC

Thanks Jeff, I really appreciate this.  Funny I just came across your name in a reply you made on October 14, 2016 to a post asking about payphone controllers.  You posted a picture of your Northern 233 with subset and controller.  Nice looking phone!  I recently bought 3 Northern 233HS3/4 payphones (each with a different dial).   

Do you know why the Northerns all seem to have a 2nd lock installed on the upper housing, with the original lock covered with a plate?

Ktownphoneco

Your very welcome.   yes, I remember the post.    I'd love to find an earlier coin collector, but they are hard to find.   What dials are in the 3 you purchased ?   

Locks:    The only thing it says in my payphone service manual, is that the second lock is for added security.    Mine has both lock types on it, however while the tubular lock on the lower housing is present,  the threaded bolt that inserts through the back casting and onto which the tubular lock threads when the key is turned, isn't installed.      So only the lower center lock is functional.    Some sets have that tubular lock hole blanked out with a steel plug, and some don't even have the hole for it.   

Jeff

Key2871

Yes, my western had the lock, and the northern had the plug.
Those were extra security as the upper could be removed with a large flat blade screwdriver. Thus theft of service or other damage could occur. It happened to a phone a block away from where I grew up as a kid. The phone was removed for about a week, then another with the security lock was installed. Then the handset was changed because they used a pin stuck in the transmitter to fake a coin deposit.

Those controllers are really nice to have with a pay phone.
Congrats.
KEN

poplar1

I lost the power supply for my controller, which looks like the one pictured. Can someone provide the output values and polarity of the bayonet plug?

By the way, where is Stan, who manufactured these?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Ktownphoneco

Here's all of the information off the power supply :  Make : Jameco  /  Model: DC905F1   /   Input:  120VAC  60Hz  8.5 Watts  /  Output: 9VDC 500mA.      Center Pin : "+" Positive.    Outer Sleeve: "-" Negative.

I have no idea where Stan is.    He hasn't posted for a while.

Jeff

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.