News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How many of you actually use your antique phones?

Started by BDM, September 21, 2008, 04:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, how many are actually using their phones?

I have no modern phones
several at any given moment
Maybe one hooked up, when I'm in the mood
Hardly ever. Besides, they scare the kids
Heck no! Are you kidding? Display only!!

Greg G.

Quote from: ItalianAce on April 01, 2013, 02:46:38 AM
I do. One reason is they last lol. I got tired of the Big Lots or Target phones that fall apart after awhile. I did a full restoration a 553A (picture below), and use it as the main phone (has pulse to tone conversion). I never have to worry about batteries going dead, plastic parts faling apart, and cheap circut boards going out. These phones are just simple wires.

If you see these I'd say grab them. The 553A (side tone) or 653A (antisidetone) or 533 (No Dial). They make great usable phones, have everything built into the phone (no subsets needed as its a phone/subset in one) and nice show pieces. They seem to be the "forgotten" phones that go by on ebay or other places unnoticed.

I have two, one with and one w/o dial.  This really inspires me to clean them up and get them functioning.  Here's a PDF and a JPG scan of the real deal.  Somewhere on here is a re-make of the instructions that went on the front that Phonesrfun made.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

tell302man

My nightstand but only one is hooked up.

southernphoneman

tell302man

Thanks! At this point in my life I have no idea how many phones I actually have. I am 35 and started getting them when I was 5 years old!

Mr. Bones

Quote from: tell302man on April 16, 2013, 05:45:08 PM
My nightstand but only one is hooked up.

What a gorgeous selection of phones to wake up to each day!

I've just got to wonder: "Which one is hooked up?" Also wondering how in the world you hit 'snooze', without jostling the phones / knocking them over... guess you're just used to where the alarm is at, like most of us.

Thanks for the great pics, and my best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

tell302man

It is the 102 in the front! No ringer box so no terrifying wake ups!

HarrySmith

The wood one laying in the back corner does not look right. You need to get rid of it. Send it to me ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Quote from: tell302man on April 17, 2013, 05:40:58 PM
It is the 102 in the front! No ringer box so no terrifying wake ups!

That's why they made 684-BC subsets with no ringer.

The 701B Princess sets don't have ringers. They were usually installed with an E-1 ringer mounted on the baseboard. Some say that the original Princess sets used in field trials were called "Bedroom phones" and no ringer was provided, for the same reason you stated.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tell302man

I think I will keep that wooden one! It is in good shape and I do have the potbelly stick version as well!

AE_Collector

Get out...you have a Strowger 11 digit stick as well?

Terry

tell302man

Yes I am telling you I am a phone hoarder and have been for years and years. I bought all of them I could for many years. I will take a pic and post if for ya! Here is a pic of me with it and two of my other favs.

AE_Collector

Nice Hoarding! A Strowger and an A1. I had a lead on a Strowger stick but it didn't seem to be coming together so I sort of gave up. I keep thinking I should give it one more attempt.

I consider myself a hoarder as well since I rarely do much restoring but I have slowed down on the accumulating lately and hopefully I will work more on restoration of some and new homes for others in the near future.

Terry

Mr. Bones

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Doug Rose

Beautiful phones...the Strowger is amazing. I hope you will share the story.....Doug
Kidphone

tell302man

I have slowed as well Terry. I also have found that good ones are getting hard to find and ebay is over priced. I have hundreds of 302s and 202s. I have 20 dial Western Electric sticks alone. I love them and can't even think about selling them.I would like to post a pic of my entire collection but it would take me two days just to get them all out  :o Don't give up on the Strowger! Thanks for the nice comments about the pic.