News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Creepy OTR (Old Time Radio) Shows

Started by Mark Stevens, September 08, 2008, 01:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Stevens

Just on the outside chance that there's some old-time radio show enthusiasts registered here (heh-heh) I thought I'd mention some of my favorites:

Quiet Please
My favorite episode was called, The Thing on the Fourble Board. Spooky!

X Minus 1
Great sci-fi program, my favorite being, A Gun for Dinosaur.

Lights Out and Mysterious Traveler were also great horror shows, but I don't recall any favorites.

I can't remember what series it was a part of (a British production, I believe), but the scariest radio show I know of was about a man who was offered a substantial sum to stay locked in a bedroom overnight, a room that has driven every overnight guest insane by morning.  A minimal production plot-wise, but extremely effective. We listen to the man's thoughts as he goes around the room lighting candles...that go out one by one. Very scary!  Anyone familiar with that show?

I found the "spooky room" show I was thinking of, it was Beyond Midnight, and the episode was called The Room. Good stuff!

bingster

Good shows, all, but don't forget the big daddy of all mystery shows, Suspense.  Running for twenty years, and starring the very biggest names in movies and radio, it was "must hear" radio, in most houses. 

There's also the more modern (1980s-1990s) BBC series Fear on Four.  More intense than the vintage shows, it's really creepy at times. 

I do love me some radio shows. :)
= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

The show Beyond Midnight that I mentioned... it seems that I've read more than once that it was a South African show, and that it was done in the late '60s. Is that right?  It sure doesn't make me think of a comparatively recent production... sounds '40s to me!

bingster

It does sound "retro" doesn't it?  It's South African alright, though.   For some reason, South Africa was amazingly behind the rest of the world when it came to television and radio.  Experimental television broadcasting wasn't done until 1975, and didn't roll out until the next year.  That's not a typo... it's really 1975. :o
= DARRIN =

jsaxe

Gotta go along with you on Quiet Please. I've collected every episode available.  It's a beautiful example of a lost art form. 

My favorite episodes are #2, I Have Been Looking For You"; #48, How Beautiful Upon The Mountain"; and #51, "In The House Where I Was Born".

Scripts are available and episodes can be downloaded from the following site:

http://www.quietplease.org

John

Mark Stevens

Quote from: jsaxe on September 14, 2008, 10:33:53 AM
Gotta go along with you on Quiet Please. I've collected every episode available.  It's a beautiful example of a lost art form. 

My favorite episodes are #2, I Have Been Looking For You"; #48, How Beautiful Upon The Mountain"; and #51, "In The House Where I Was Born".

Scripts are available and episodes can be downloaded from the following site:

http://www.quietplease.org

John

Thanks John, I'll check it out!  For years my job involved my being in my truck at night, driving and listening to the radio or CDs.  I had XM at the time (have Sirius now), and would listen to the old time radio channel.  Some of those old horror shows just about scared the crap out of me!  Today's movie makers could learn a lot from those old radio shows. None of them know how to create a scare without either showing blood and gore or providing a sudden shock accompanied by a tremendous blast of sound!  It's all about the atmosphere, and no cheap-shots are needed.

Shovelhead

I just re-signed for XM. I didn't realize how much I missed it. I'm just kind of disappointed that Old Time Radio is pre-empted for sports on Saturday evenings.
That's usually my "quiet time" to relax and read, and during the winter with the fireplace going.

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Shovelhead on September 14, 2008, 09:05:32 PM
I just re-signed for XM. I didn't realize how much I missed it. I'm just kind of disappointed that Old Time Radio is pre-empted for sports on Saturday evenings.
That's usually my "quiet time" to relax and read, and during the winter with the fireplace going.

I don't really have a good feel for how the programing compares between the two services, as I only listened to XM in the middle of the night, and not just listen to Sirius during the day. That may not be significant, but I wonder to what extent that XM emphasized horror/sci-fi in the over-night hours.  Every time I tune into the Sirius OTR station they're playing western or comedy shows.  They're great, but I miss my spooky shows!

Bill Cahill

Thanks, guys. Neat radio shows... I'll check them out.
Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Steve

I'm only 46, so I dont remember the original radio shows. I did however listen to Radio mystery theater every night when I was younger.  that was a great program.

I had a bunch of old radios from my grand-dad growing up. I listened to it on them. sadly my mom threw them away in a cleaning frenzy. :(
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

McHeath

Oh yeah, mom cleaning frenzies.  I can relate to that, when I moved out to college in the mid 80's mom took that chance to throw away pretty much everything I'd ever owned in a fit of cleaning.  Geesh.  I had this really old radio that the high school library had given me, it was a tube job with a wood cabinet and stainless grill, very 50's looking.  Well it went into the dumpster, that's what happens when you have a mom who has zero sentimental attachments to things. 

Steve

Well, at least I'm not the only one this happened to!

the radio I miss the most was a Zenith? I think? it had the tuner dial that folded down, and you pushed a button to open it, it was spring loaded and dampend. it was the coolest radio I've ever seen. anyone know what brand/model it may have been?
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

HobieSport

Oh the dreaded cleaning frenzies.  My sister has a father in law that threw away two WE302s that I will never be able to just see and appreciate.  It's aggravating to say the least.

Steve, considering the radio experts on this forum (not me) we may be able to find a nostalgic replacement at best?

Steve

Finding a replacement would be great. problem is I don't know what make and model it was. I have looked on the internet to find out what it may have been, but I haven't seen a picture of one that looks like it so far.
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

HobieSport

Steve, just describe the description (reduntandly) of the radio as best you can.  I'll put on my private detective fedora and look for it.

Did you say it was a maybe a Zenith?  Can you further describe your assailant?

I'm not a cop.  I don't carry a badger.  Just interested.