"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hair Product with Peroxide, Worked Great on Turquoise Phone

Started by 11furby11, April 07, 2011, 10:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

Thanks Christian...

The casing has the large lightened spot that is shown in the picture and the handset has a few smaller spots and a few lines that are lightened.

Do you recommend polishing with Novus #2 or #3 ?

Thanks again,
Gary

Jim Stettler

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on April 24, 2017, 06:34:46 PM
I have done that sometimes on heavily faded ABS.

Does it look like the plastic sort of became more pale, or are there 'wisps' of white in the plastic?

Usually, the wisps are created by peroxide staying in one place for too long on the plastic. The workaround for that would be to either swish the peroxide around every 5 or 10 minutes. A more effective (but more expensive) way to avoid it would be to rinse the peroxide off every 5 or 10 minutes, and re-apply peroxide.

I wonder if an aquarium air pump and "bubble stone"  would work to keep it moving.
Another thought would be a water pump from a cheap table top (yard sale) fountain. stick it in the bowl and plug it in.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WEBellSystemChristian

I'm not very informed on Novus products; I've used Meguiar's Compound since the start. Whichever cuts better should work best.

The trick to moving the peroxide around is that none of the existing peroxide can stay in one place on the plastic for more than 5-10 minutes, but it has to stay in place long enough to remove fading. You have to sort of swirl the peroxide around on the plastic with your fingers.

I don't think it would work nearly as effectively if the peroxide were constantly moving; it needs to sit still long enough to remove fading. It's the same concept as sitting too long causes white marks.  Constantly moving peroxide would be like pulling up a plant and checking the roots constantly to make sure it's growing.

I would give the entire housing an all-over polish with the grittiest of the Novus products (#3?). I bet the entire housing has turned a little whiter than it should be.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

gands-antiques