News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Australian 8021 Fresh from Ukraine

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 11, 2013, 06:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

This just arrived this evening: ebay link.  As I strongly suspected, it is Australian, not Soviet.  What it was doing in Ukraine, I can hardly guess.  The "Telecom Aust" stamp on the bottom was covered with a paper sticker.  I have been wanting to get one of these, but they don't usually sell for cheap, and 99.999% of them are in Australia, and shipping from there to here is very expensive.  The phone was packed in a flimsy Ukrainian cardboard box only very slightly bigger than the phone, but it apparently survived the long trip.  It is in fairly good condition, but the shell will need some sanding in spots.  The markings visible on the handset were from something dark and sticky, but not damage.  The dial center piece is missing, so I would appreciate it if if someone could tell me where I could obtain a replacement for a reasonable price.  I would also greatly appreciate instructions on how to disassemble the dial without breaking anything.  It is quite dirty, so I would like to give it a good cleaning, but the parts, including the finger stop, are mostly brittle plastic, and everything seems to snap together like a puzzle.

I gave the phone a quick test, and I was able to dial a call with good sound quality, but I wasn't able to make the phone ring.  After it is all cleaned and polished, I will have to give it another try.  

BTW, is the model number "8021".  What are the differences between an 801, 802, and 8021?

The color of the phone did not come out quite right in the pictures.  It is close to WE moss green but slightly lighter.

Larry

LM Ericsson

Removing the fingerwheel is easy by removing the screw with a needlenose pliar. To remove the dial face, there should be a ring that is made of rubber surrounding the dial face. After that, the fingerstop will slide out along with the rubber ring. Take it off and the dial face should come off easily be turning it counter clockwise until it comes loose.

Removing the workings is pretty easy,  squeeze the dust cover and it will pop out by doing so. The workings are easy to remove and put back in. Once you are done just do everything reverse.

You can purchase a new dial card cover at the address shown: http://tinyurl.com/kfn4gsa

The 801 was first in the 800 Series, then came the 802. I am not really sure about the 8021, maybe because of the company Telecom Australia. I have the same one in the same color, also mine is made by P.M.G. (Post Masters General) and it is an model 802.
Regards,
-Grayson

Jack Ryan

The 801 is the first generation Colorfone and has the dial numbers on an outer ring.

The 8021 is the second generation 802 that has a button on the front.

If you look at the circuit, the bell is looped out through the line cord to facilitate the addition of an extension bell. With no extension the 610 socket should be jumpered between 2 & 3. Alternatively, jumper P1 to P2 within the phone (no pasta is required).

Jack

LarryInMichigan

QuoteYou can purchase a new dial card cover at the address shown: http://tinyurl.com/kfn4gsa
Thank you for the link, but the cost is somewhat beyond what I want to spend on this phone.

QuoteThe 8021 is the second generation 802 that has a button on the front.
I wonder why mine is marked "8021" on the bottom since it has no button on the front.

I figured out how to wire the phone to make the ringer work.  One of the wires in the line cord had a break near the far end, so I cut it a bit shorter and attached a new spade lug.  I added a 1KΩ resistor in place of one of the jumpers in the phone to reduce the ringer's current draw.

I have cleaned the parts, which were quite dirty and have been sanding the plastic.  There were quite a few scratches.  I managed to disassemble, clean, polish, and reassemble the dial.  This phone should turn out nicely.  I am anxious to show it to a neighbor who used to live in Australia and had an 801 or 802 in this same color (or is that colour?). 

If anyone knows where I can get a dial center for cheap, please let me know.

Thank You

Larry

LarryInMichigan

Here is another picture of the inside.

Larry

Jack Ryan

The sticker that was on the bottom covering the ID is probably the remnants of a Telecom W/S refurbishment label. If you check some dates they probably don't match.

The base was originally part of an 8021 but the refurbished phone is an 802.

Look for a parts supplier with a very long queue - that one probably has dial centres.

Jack

LarryInMichigan

I couldn't stand sanding anymore, so I gave up and reassembled everything.  The phone looks great (if you don't look too closely), and it works perfectly.  Here are a couple of 'after' pictures.

Larry

david@london

your sanding and polishing looks great larry. now that it's had some time spent on it, that's a very nice looking phone.
the clear plastic fingerstop strikes me as unusual.......and rather cool.

WesternElectricBen

It looks excellent! I really need to practice sanding, as I cannot seem to sand the shine back.

Ben

LarryInMichigan

I used several different grits of Micromesh sanding pads, a buffing wheel on and electric drill, and polish.  The phone looks much better in the pictures than in person.  Sanding is a miserable job.  I hate doing it.

I used the phone for a few calls today, and nobody complained about the sound.  The ringer sounds much different than a WE.

Larry

Matilo Telephones

Well it looks al lot better than it did. Lovey phone. I like that transparant finger stop too. Quite unusual.

And love that retro font for the numbers. Great!
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

LM Ericsson

Could you tell me which line cord color connections go where in a four prong?
Regards,
-Grayson

Dan/Panther

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on December 12, 2013, 04:42:28 PM
It looks excellent! I really need to practice sanding, as I cannot seem to sand the shine back.

Ben

I've always had that same problem, until I started to do guitars.
The trick with sanding for me is.
Us-we progressively finer grits of wet sand paper. Mix water in a bowl with a couple drops of dish soap. Each time you change to a finer grit, try to sand in the cross direction of the previous grit. I start with 240 to 400, then work up to 2000. In some cases I've even got a semi shine without polish. The soap helps to keep build up which causes fine scratches. Then I finish out with Novus #2.
Every time I do a new item, I compare it to the previous one, I always think, I could have done better on the last one. If you hurry it won't turn out. we are talking maybe days to get it right. I avoid buffers. I learned that when I burned through a finish I had been working on for weeks.
Other methods will work as well, this is just what I find works for me.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: LM Ericsson on January 06, 2015, 03:27:30 PM
Could you tell me which line cord color connections go where in a four prong?

I have the red and white wires going to one side of the line and the blue to the other.

Larry