News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Fell Through the Cracks

Started by Doug Rose, September 12, 2019, 10:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I often wonder how phones like this fall through the cracks and are not bid on.  Base is dated 1/53. Looks like everything matches but the ringer.

It appears to be NOS. Except for the line cord, it is perfect.

No markings on the handset. Seller listed as a prototype as his friend worked for Bell Systems

NOS 302 for $40....such a deal!  ...Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bell-Systems-Rotary-Telephone-Prototype-/383135149980
Kidphone

HarrySmith

WOW! That is a great deal. I don't know how it got missed? I look every day, several times a day, and I did not see it. I don't see anything to indicate a prototype but still a very pretty phone. The ringer being 12 or 13 years older than the phone is a little strange.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry...I think seller thought prototype and there is no Bell System F1 under the handset grip and owners friend worked at Bell System when he/she got it  ...Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

I can't say for positive what the phone is, but I do question anything special about it, as the base is 1-53, and the ringer is 3-40. A prototype with components dated several years after the original phone was in every day use ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

FABphones

Seller says on the listing it was wrapped in plastic, that would be interesting to take a look at, is there a photo.

I have come across handsets with no writing on them, in both the UK and France. I read up on it at the time, they made them blank (and F1W) for issue to other companies. If I can find where I read it I will add the link.

*Found a blank handset photo I saved on my iPad (below).

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

I thought the unmarked handset was unusual. Were they still making 302's in 1953? Very strange with the 1940 date on the ringer. Did you get it Doug?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

I think they sanded away the markings and polished it. Note the shadow of the rectangle

Doug Rose

Harry...I did.  Last thing I need is another black 302  ::). Couldn't pass this beauty up. Sheen on it is amazing. I should have it tomorrow. It is a real late run.  I have some 52 bases so I'll try to find a better dated ringer. There must be a story about the ringer. Not sure I want to mess with it, but I do have to replace the line cord.  I have never seen a WE F1 not marked under the grip. I'll get better pics this weekend...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: rdelius on September 12, 2019, 01:37:24 PM
I think they sanded away the markings and polished it. Note the shadow of the rectangle
Robby I do see the shadow, but this looks really good from the pics, I'll let you know. It should be a thermo plastic handset....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Cool. It does look brand new! Once you receive it some more exploration & pictures will be good. I think changing the ringer is a good idea, obviously it can't be what was installed originally.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

oh how pretty! new and shiny! for $40.00 an absolutely great bargain knowing that OPW want $200 for theirs! use it, enjoy it and take care of it.... pass it on to family when the time comes and keep it being used! the 302's are an absolute gorgeous phone and I love passing them on to family and friends!
John

rdelius

Thermo plastic handsets have no side groove.This is a bakelite one

poplar1

Looks like a 251 (AB1 tel set mounting) rather than a 302 (H1). Note the narrow top ridge on the ringer mount. That might explain the older B1A ringer rather than a (Kellogg or Stromberg-Carlson) harmonic ringer. Also, no WE black 302s later than 12-1952 have been reported, but I think there were still some black WE 1953 251s.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

David...welcome back! I should get it today and I will get some better pics. 

Just a Zero on the dial plate.

Robby...Didn't black F1 s go plastic late in the game. I thought I remember melting one with stripper when I thought it was Bakelite.  Also the plastic caps did not fit the Bakelite handles...Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

I have a black plastic handset ,same as the colored ones with no groves no date either.Same  threads also.I have seen F1 handsets made of bakelite with dates in the 1970s mostly im elevator sets so I do not think there was a switchover. There are 1960s plastic caps that were made for replacement on bakelite handsets but they can shrink and are a pain to remove.Will not fit the earlier plastic handle.