News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - May 2016

Started by AE_Collector, April 24, 2016, 12:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - May 2016. ** 1 vote each **

WEBellSystemChristian's 1955 Ivory WE 500 with original straight handset cord on eBay. $25 plus shipping.
11 (40.7%)
Fabius' Lincolnville Telco Centennial (1904-2004) Pure Silver Meadalion on eBay, $26.55 & $3 shipping
8 (29.6%)
oldguy's Restored Northern Electric Uniphone #1. On eBay for $68.88 + $18.75 shipping
8 (29.6%)

Total Members Voted: 27

AE_Collector

Quote from: Fabius on June 10, 2016, 11:24:29 PM
Oh no you don't! I earned it, I deserve it. It's last place,

Okay, you broaden our phone collecting horizons with your "Finds"!

Terry

oldguy

Beautiful phone Christian, you diserved the win & you even put a lot of your labor into the phone. Fabius, third or last place it's still an outstanding midallion. If I had gotten 1 less vote, we would have been tied for the coveted last place award :)
Gary

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks everyone for the kind words, and for voting!

If there were more contestants, 3rd place woild be pretty coveted!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on June 10, 2016, 11:24:29 PM
Oh no you don't! I earned it, I deserve it. It's last place, not 3rd out of 3.  Keeping my string of last places ever growing.

Well, that meant more work for me . . .  ???

So, out of 56 contest months, there were 98 nominations that came in last place. Several months had two tied for last, a few had 3 tied for last and one month even had 4 tied for last. The percentage of votes received for last place nominations ranged from 0% to 27.3% (and, keep in mind that there have been winners with lower percentages of votes than 27.3%).

In all, Fabius, you have no worry about working toward the goal of being on top of the list of being on the "bottom." As of May 2016, you indeed do have the most last place finishes, 9, followed by a member at 7, and two tied for 3rd place at 6.

No need to name other members because they are members who participate quite often in the Find of the Month contests and some have won the coveted FotM award for one or more months.

So, that answers that question and a dubious congratulations on your self claimed achievement . . .    ;)  ( . . . and keep your nominations coming, you do find some very interesting things at just don't look like a colored soft plastic 500, if you know what I mean)

AE_Collector

Never one to walk away from a "statistics" challenge (John)!

So no more need to lose any sleep Tom...you're already there....right at the top of the bottom of the list.

Now, if there were a way to research the statistics of the voters, I suspect I am near the top of the bottom of the list at voting for the loser!

Terry

Fabius

My bragging is strictly "tong in check". I realize my area of interest is different then many younger forum members, plus there's stiff competition each month.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on June 12, 2016, 10:09:15 PM
My bragging is strictly "tong in check". I realize my area of interest is different then many younger forum members, plus there's stiff competition each month.

Yes, there is that and then there is persistence, a quality you certainly have. When running the numbers, I found many last place members who never entered another phone. It's the same as the auction contests, if you don't play, you can't win. The Find of the Month is a strange animal in that some months no one finds anything and in others, there are 10 to 12 nominations. And when someone finds something in the same month as a new member finds a Model I Picture Phone, how does one beat that? I've seen several different discussions of what a "find" is and while it is or can be something strange to many members and should win, the more popular or common hard to find and worth money phones get the votes. Then there is the discussion if price paid, should be used to help value the find. I say yes but others think not. If Mo paid $200,000 for that Picture Phone, would it have won? Don't know. Maybe not. Overall, it's just for fun and a way for members to, as Terry says in the first topic post each month, A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it. So, nominations are open to all that fit that purpose and meet the 4 nomination rules. After that, it's up to the members to vote. Gee, that was a lot or words all meant to encourage nominations and voting. After all, it is for fun and a lot of fun to participate.

WEBellSystemChristian

While maybe not an attention-getter to the FOtM crowd, your finds sure are interesting and probably more display worthy to the general population than phones are.

I have a history of getting mostly 2nd and 3rd place. I sometimes spark a rematch if tied for first, then getting 2nd or 3rd! ::)
Christian Petterson

andre_janew

I'm entered in the June FOTM.  I'll probably get last place and ruin Fabius' last place winning streak!

AE_Collector

I am always surprised at how things change when we do a run off poll. The two top items are tied and we keep maybe the top 4 out of 8 contestants and assume that one of the original two that were tied for first place will battle it out. Frequently that changes the dynamics a lot and maybe neither of the original top two win. That is part of the reason why I am never anxious to resort to a run off vote if there is a way to get a decisive win in the first round.

Terry

Fabius

Quote from: andre_janew on June 13, 2016, 11:21:06 AM
I'm entered in the June FOTM.  I'll probably get last place and ruin Teleplay's Fabius' last place winning streak!

Ain't no way I'm going to let that happen.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

andre_janew

We'll find out if I'm right in July.

oldguy

I just noticed the votes now show Fabius & I are now tied for 2nd & last. Not complaining, seems like a fun combination of positions. Maybe I just thought the voting was over but it wasn't.
Gary

AE_Collector

I don't know how that happened, I always lock the voting once the poll is over but the poll is also set to only run for x number of days. I was asleep at the switch and the number of days ran out so I don't know how anyone added or changed a vote. The good news is that you are both in a tie for Second Place! Definitely a respectable finish :)

Terry