News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

French Phone?

Started by HarrySmith, May 26, 2010, 08:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I recently received three phones for repair from a customer, he called them "French Phones" and I have seen them on eBay with the same name. I am guessing they are Ericcson and are not repros. The dials were added at some point and they have very nice cloth cords. Any info on these or direction to find info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Harry
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

It looks European, and it looks authentic, but I think maybe Dutch, Danish or from Norway or the like.  Remco or D_S_K could probably be of much more help.  It seems like this question came up a few months ago, but I don't remember what the answer was.

"French" phones used to be a generic term for any telephone with an ornate handset, by the way.
-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Harry,
These run the gauntlet as totally real or complete repro.
The real one typically came from turtle Lake telephone. (Bob Prosser)

Real ones typically have a "counter" in the window or beneath the cover. repro's don't.

The timeline runs:
Full foreign
Then repro handset parts,
Then Repro handsets,
then repro "bell assemblies"
then repro housings then repro housings and bases. Repro bases came about in the 1970's

I think bob Prosser's daughter is on a list server now, Lisa Siefert (sp).

She may be able to help with the timeline for the repro parts. {then again, maybe not} Either way, I would check with her first for her input.

Just my opinion.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

dsk

My guess is Danish KTA telephone.  The cords looks pretty new or in good shape. The clamp holding the cords look like modern plastic in picture, may not be.
I believe it is a refurbished Danish telephone.

dsk

teka-bb

It's a refurbished phone made by "Telefon  Fabrik Automatic" in Copenhagen, Danmark.
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

HarrySmith

Thanks for all the replies. The other two I have taken apart have dials mounted properly and have counters in them. Now I am having some issues. I thought I would have at least one working properly and could use that to check the wiring on the other two but I was wrong. Any help in finding a diagram for these things? I have 1 that does nothing, 2 that will not break the line and I have a loud click when touching dial or hookswitch. Any and all advice will be appreciated!

Harry
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

OK, newest update, I disconnected the ringer on one phone and the hook switch now disconnects the line but I still have the very loud click when I touch the hook switch or dial. This phone appears to have an original dial, not added on as in the pictures I posted earlier. Any thoughts on eliminating the click? Is the ringer possibly a frequency one? Thanks.

Harry
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"