News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

LUCKY ANTIQUES FAIR FIND (BTMC "Kettle" phone)

Started by oldmoley2, March 27, 2015, 07:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmoley2

Just picked up this little beauty at a local small town antiques fair here in the UK. Didn't pay a great deal for it, and on plugging it into my home line, everything works perfectly! I've seen these before, but am not too familiar with them. Can anyone more knowledgeable fill me in on any details please?

unbeldi

This forum has several discussions about the "tea kettle", or just "kettle" phone, for example HERE, recently.

This is very nice.

19and41

Mighty pretty, first I've seen in red!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

I can't give you any info on it but it sure is nice!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Matilo Telephones

Nice find. Paint job seems nice. They did not paint over the metal plate with the RTT logo.

The red is a repaint, as this model originally only came in black and (rare!) white. There are also white repainted phones available. The original white ones have white logo's on the front, the repainted ones black logos.

Is there any writing on the bottom?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

oldmoley2

Many thanks for your kind comments. Arwin - I've had a look at the base of the phone, but there is no writing at all. I'll probably have a look inside the phone to see whether there is any further evidence there, and will report back.

LarryInMichigan

Is that a French handset on that phone?  The Belgian kettle that I bought a few months ago had an incorrect French handset on it.  I moved the handset to a French phone.

Larry

oldmoley2

Would appear to be so, Larry. The handset is marked "Ericsson Colombes", which I think makes it a wrong 'un. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a more appropriate handset for it. Someone has also fitted a modern transmitter (rather badly) which will also need to go. That said, it works well, and shows 100% modulation on my analyzer.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: oldmoley2 on March 30, 2015, 03:19:16 PM
Would appear to be so, Larry. The handset is marked "Ericsson Colombes", which I think makes it a wrong 'un. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a more appropriate handset for it. Someone has also fitted a modern transmitter (rather badly) which will also need to go. That said, it works well, and shows 100% modulation on my analyzer.

Mine came with the same type of handset (forum link) also with inappropriate transmitter and receiver.  Perhaps they came from the same refurbisher.

Larry

Matilo Telephones

RTT used a copy of the F1 handset as their standard handset. The only differences between the regular F1 and the Belgian one are its insides and the seems on the outside.

So an F1 handset would be a good place holder, until you find the correct one.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Greg G.

Quote from: oldmoley2 on March 27, 2015, 07:42:49 AM
Just picked up this little beauty at a local small town antiques fair .... Didn't pay a great deal for it, and on plugging it into my home line, everything works perfectly!

I love it when that happens!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Brinybay on March 30, 2015, 05:34:22 PM
Quote from: oldmoley2 on March 27, 2015, 07:42:49 AM
Just picked up this little beauty at a local small town antiques fair .... Didn't pay a great deal for it, and on plugging it into my home line, everything works perfectly!

I love it when that happens!

I love it even better when it happens to me :)

HarrySmith

Please keep us up to date on the restoration. Lots of pictures, please. Should clean up real nice!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"