"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Flea market Find

Started by compubit, May 03, 2015, 10:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

Not much luck this weekend...

Found a 1969 WE 500 (very dirty) with excellent cords (including a long thick line cord) and no fading/sun damage for $10. To me, the line cord made this phone worth it.  Cleanup has started, and worst case, I have a parts phone; I plan to see how close I can bring this one back to "nearly new".  Lots of Novus 2 time when in front of the TV...  (Plus I don't have a 500 in any shade of beige - had this been a Rose Beige...)

After 15 minutes in OxyClean, both the line and coiled cord seem like new - flexible, one solid color, and non-tacky plastic.

On the other hand, the DC Big Flea was a "DC Big Bust"...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Kenton K

Nice, looks like a 59 that was refurbed in the 60s. But I'm not sure if its worth sweating over too much, you'll find a matching dates one sooner or later. But this one, all clean is a great placeholder. I still have my lt. beige 70s placeholder until I find a SP one.

Good luck!-Ken

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice colorring on that set; shouldn't be too hard to clean up! Good price, too!

Ken, I haven't seen you post very much lately; any new phones? ???
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

compubit

It's a 68 that was refurbed in 69 - dates are close.

It'll be an easy clean-up. As I said before, to me, the think line cable and near mint coiled able made it worth the purchase.  The line cable may migrate to my beige 1500...

Now if I could remember or figure out how to take a K1A handset apart. (Can't remember if I did it in a dream or real life.  Regardless, I have no notes, nor can I find references around here...)

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: compubit on May 04, 2015, 12:29:04 AM
Can't remember if I did it in a dream or real life.
Ha, that always happens to me! I dream of something, like a place that I visited or someone I met, but it turns out that I dreamt and it never really happened!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford