News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ExpressNet Modem Connection on Windows 98?

Started by Famicoman, July 18, 2022, 10:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famicoman

Hello all,

I have ExpressNet installed in Windows 98 and am trying to figure out how to interface with a modem. I currently launch ExpressNet by double-clicking the xnet.exe executable, but upon going to Modems Menu --> Modem Setup I get a message stating "No commnications ports are selected" with no option to add/setup a modem.

It may be worth noting to some that I have Windows 98 installed in a VirtualBox VM, but I DO have connection between the modem on my host computer interfacing properly with the Windows 98 VM. If I go into hyperterminal on the Windows 98 VM and select COM1 there, I can successfully talk with my modem and send it AT commands.

At this point I know that Windows 98 can see the modem, but I understand ExpressNet is a DOS application and I'm wondering it it may not automatically have access to COM1?

Does anyone have any experience with ExpressNet running under Windows 98 and may know if there is additional configuration I need to do?

Thanks!

Sigmaz

Expressnet will not reliably function under a virtual environment.
I spent many hours testing and found that timing is not sufficient to establish, negotiate, or retain a reliable connection.

You're going to need to source a physical machine with a serial port.
If the machine is a newer one you can create and boot dos off of a thumb drive or SD card in a USB adapter.
This is the method I found that worked best.
I have tested with a USR modem and also with a proper protel modem and had great success.

Good luck with the setup

Quote from: Famicoman on July 18, 2022, 10:56:41 PMHello all,

I have ExpressNet installed in Windows 98 and am trying to figure out how to interface with a modem. I currently launch ExpressNet by double-clicking the xnet.exe executable, but upon going to Modems Menu --> Modem Setup I get a message stating "No commnications ports are selected" with no option to add/setup a modem.

It may be worth noting to some that I have Windows 98 installed in a VirtualBox VM, but I DO have connection between the modem on my host computer interfacing properly with the Windows 98 VM. If I go into hyperterminal on the Windows 98 VM and select COM1 there, I can successfully talk with my modem and send it AT commands.
Interesting, whats your bare metal OS?

Famicoman

Hi all, apologies for abruptly abandoning this thread way back, but at the time I decided to proceed without the Protel board at all for the time being. Over the last year I have been working on getting ExpressNet running and properly programming my phones.

Further, I have created a programming line that will rate all calls free of charge for any phone programmed by it. More information is available here, https://philtel.org/2024/02/10/protel-programming-line.html

If anyone wants to make use of the line, here are the steps:

To program your phone, first make sure it is on-hook.
Now, hold down the program button and take the phone off-hook, you should hear a single beep. You can now release the program button.
On the keypad, dial 005555555555*, you should then hear a single beep.
Next, dial 252252776835* (for PSTN) or 252630500* (for PhreakNet), you should then hear a single beep.
If you hear more than one beep on the above steps, simply repeat the step.
Finally, dial *#3. You should hear the phone say the phone number of the phone (in this case 555-555-5555) and then you will hear the phone connect to ExpressNet and download the necessary configuration. This should take around 5 minutes total.
After the download finishes, dial *#6, and you should hear a timestamp of the last successful download.

If your download fails, try repeating the steps above again. Otherwise, make sure you have working (and charged) payphone batteries (test this by calling your payphone and seeing if the internal modem picks up), a working keypad, etc.

G-Man

Making this service available to the collecting community sez great things about both you and Jim Engle who also provides this service!

However, there are a couple of caveats as demonstrated by another collector who recently had difficulty calling long distance numbers after programming via Jim's Expressnet programming line.

First, clear all of the old programming by defaulting to the original factory configuration. If the problem continues, do it at least one more time.

Beware! Some commercial Protel programming service providers report that it may be difficult or even impossible to program over some VoIP lines. If this is the case they advise the customer to send in the board for programming.