News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 688C Subset - what is this?

Started by RotarDad, December 20, 2018, 11:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

Just saw this.  Looks like a payphone 685A subset (net + ringer), but it has some added circuitry.  Any idea on this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223292837655
Paul

Ktownphoneco

I believe it was one of the subsets used with the W.E. type 3211 telephones (211 with the touch tone dial).   Try a Google search of the TCI Library for "688C".

Jeff Lamb

compubit

Anyone have ideas on what the triangular circuit is for? It looks almost like a separate network (transformer, capacitors and resistors...).

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

RB

Not sure, but that board looks kinda like an amplifier????
prob not, but it has a transistor, and that power transformer???
could be a switch circuit of some kind?
just my humble opinion.

RotarDad

Ok, the TCI library search did retrieve a 688C (non-dial) and 690C(dial) subscriber set (thank you, Jeff).  Here's the schematic in 3 sections. It shows a buzzer and an amplifier, but there is no explanation of what this unit was used for.

Paul

poplar1

The amplifier may be for a headset, used with a 6026-type key (4A Key). There is a desk telephone set with headset jack (514/2514) with similar amplifier.

http://paul-f.com/we514.htm
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

just to let you guys all know... the 3211 is the autovon version of the 2211. and yes, the added circuitry is for the headset adapter... but I don't understand why you would use a headset with is style phone?
John

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 21, 2018, 05:16:51 PM
just to let you guys all know... the 3211 is the autovon version of the 2211. and yes, the added circuitry is for the headset adapter... but I don't understand why you would use a headset with is style phone?
I used to own a black 2211. 
As far as a headset goes. The same use  as any other time.  If you are always on the phone, a headset makes sense. If you are transcribing a headset makes sense. for added security, a modified headset may be used? ect.
The 211 series are very small phones. they don't use flat space. If the program is outgrowing it space , you may need to make use of all available space.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

dc4code

The inside of one of my WE500's looks like this. At least the network does.

RotarDad

Dylan - you are correct.  These subsets use the 500-spec network (425B or later 425E, I believe] and C4A ringer.
Paul