News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Identify this cord?

Started by Pourme, February 11, 2017, 09:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Seller claims it's NOS, but I don't know. It appears to be very thick. The wound ends look factory. The ends don't look aged enough to me.
I figured for $12.67 shipping included I can use it on something. Anybody know what I have purchased?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292025634589
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Ktownphoneco

I'm not sure what it would be used for Benny, but the older handsets use a 3 conductor cord, and red, yellow and green conductor colors were used by Kellogg and Stromberg Carlson I believe, and of course those colors are pretty much standard for line cords made by most telephone manufacturers.
End lashing of the outer cloth sheathing isn't all that common, but then again the cord is of a substantial size as you've pointed out.      In a lot of cases, telephone or communications items that appear somewhat "odd ball", are quite often something used by communications systems operated by the railways in North America.       
Sorry I can't be more specific, but there may be someone else on the forum who knows exactly who made it, and what it was used for.

Jeff

andre_janew

I was looking for cord restraints to provide some sort of clue, but there are none.  All I can say is to use it where you need a 3 wire cloth covered cord, especially one with red, green and yellow wires.

HarrySmith

After a close look at the spades, I would guess it is a home made cord. The crimps are not perfect as they would be if made by a telco in a machine. Definetly well made, I like the wrapping on the cloth.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

Thanks guys...Kinda odd, Looks like $12 worth....I'll post again after it arrives...

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Jim Stettler

I have seen cords with that (untwisted) "look" they were made from swithboard cords. This isn't a switchboard cord. I think this is from the 1970's and was a cord for a repro cord. Steve Hilsz may know something.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

I've seen this cord, or something similar, before. Looking at the spade lugs, the wire is not 20-24 gauge. It looks like 18 gauge. And the twist in the ends make it seem the three conductors are twisted within the cloth cover. The braid reminds me of power cords for lamps. Sundial makes an array of cords and the three images on the right are for their 3 conductor black. The two images on the left are from the eBay auction. IMHO, I'd say the seller is trying to pass a home brew power cord off as phone cord.

There are other sources for new, similar cloth power cords.

rdelius

the construstion reminds me of SC cords.I have a 1243 set from my grandparents house in Kingsport TN (Intermittant telephone co) with cloth covered plastic cords .The strain relliefs were tied on th the cloth ends.