News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Number plate on WE 554, can it be polished??

Started by pa_bell1960, June 26, 2011, 02:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pa_bell1960

Hello forum members, I have a nice old WE 554 I recently purchased at a yard sale. All the plastic was pretty much scratched up from years of service, ( 8-64 ), but I managed to get it back in good shape with Novus polish and a lot of elbow grease. My question is can the plastic dial number plate be polished somehow without it erasing the numbers? It is black and very dull, and has a deep fingernail scratch all the way from 0 to fingerstop. Is there a way to refreshen it or do I need to find another that is nice and shiny? I certainly would appreciate any advice you folks can give me.   Jim
Western Electric Telephones and Zenith Radios, These are a few of my favorite things!!!   Jim

ESalter

The dial bezels on the 500 series phones have the numbers reverse molded from the back.  You can polish, sand, file, or grind all you want and the numbers will never wear off.

pa_bell1960

Thanks for that information. This is why I joined this forum, so I can learn things I did not know. Thanks again Mr. Salter for your help. Now it is time to get to polishing.  Jim
Western Electric Telephones and Zenith Radios, These are a few of my favorite things!!!   Jim