"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 1D2 Pay Phone Home Wiring

Started by MacGnG, December 22, 2012, 07:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: G-Man on December 25, 2012, 03:09:13 AM
Elcotel bought out ATT Technologies' (Western Electric) payphone line and continued to manufacture WECo clones including the 32-series boards for ILECs or were optionally mated with smart boards for COCOT operators so these phones were still being made in recent times.
I was hoping you would step in and fill us in on this. I suspected that might have been the case, but couldn't find anything on the web confirming it. They seem to have made quite a few changes to the boards as compared to the earlier Western Electric boards. So these boards were being made concurrently along with the "Smart" boards.

Have you any ideas for MacGnG about his volume problem? I am not sure if he has tried a new handset or elements in his yet, but do you have any other suggestions? I did find on one forum that they will have very low audio until the rate is changed to at least a quarter from the default, but without a phone with the same board, can't confirm it here.

Like to make MacGnG really satisfied with his acquisition....

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

MacGnG

As you can see from the dates on this post, it's been a while...

So I gave up and unplugged it for about a year and a bit.

About 5 months ago I decided to mess with it again. So I plugged it in and it worked great! No idea what I did, i tightened all the screws again just to make sure it would get undone! ;)

I upgraded the locks to the very high security ASSA Desmo locks.

I got a new Verizon logo vault door.

I got a new old stock coin box with lid still in the box.

I don't really have a place to mount it yet, so I bought a wireless phone jack kit so it could ring and make calls in the tv room since there isn't a phone jack anywhere close.

So it's all setup and works great now. Thanks for everyone's help!!!

HarrySmith

WOW, just leave it alone for a couple of years and it will fix itself. That means the phones I threw in storage years ago should have fixed themselves by now!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"