News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1963 WE 500. Doesn't ring.

Started by AET, November 05, 2009, 05:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

I have a hand-painted 500 that some of you may remember and I just put on a modular cord as it had no cord, and it will dial out, receive calls, but will not ring.  I looked on the site and couldn't find any info on it, even though I know we've discussed this before.  So, I'm going to start fresh.  What do I do?
- Tom

bingster

The quickest check to make is to move the black ringer wire from the G terminal to the L1 terminal, and see if that makes a difference.  Beyond that, checking all wiring to make sure it conforms to the standard 500 C/D wiring scheme can't hurt (except as it applies to the aforementioned black ringer wire).

http://telephonecollectors.org/library/weco/500cd.pdf
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Tom if Bingster's suggestion (which is a good one) doesn't work, can you post a photo of your network?  Or is your camera still  AWOL?

AET

Well, I moved the wire, now no ring and very low volume.

- Tom

bingster

Odd.  It shouldn't have anything to do with the volume.  In that case, make sure all the wiring conforms to the diagram I linked to up there, because there may be some mis-wiring going on.  A photo of the network would be brilliant, as Dennis mentioned, though.
= DARRIN =

AET

I cannot download PDF's on my laptop, which is all I got.  I got some pics up, on a related note, my camera was between the seats of my Caprice.
- Tom

Dennis Markham

Tom, the photos are great except for one thing.  They're blurry and I can't make out head nor tails of what's what.  Can you try again?  It's better to back off a bit and let the camera focus than try and make out what is what from the blurry images.   Sorry.  We can tell a lot from the wiring as it is now but really need to see them clearly.

bwanna

tom, try using the macro setting on your camera, when taking the close up shots. it is the little icon that looks like a flower.   good luck with your ringing (lack of) issue. you are in good hands here. :)
donna

bingster

= DARRIN =

AET

- Tom

Phonesrfun

Tom:

Take the black ringer wire off the G terminal and switch it over to L1, where the green line cord connects.

-Bill
-Bill G

AET

I did that and still, nothing.
Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 05, 2009, 08:49:36 PM
Tom:

Take the black ringer wire off the G terminal and switch it over to L1, where the green line cord connects.

-Bill
- Tom

Dennis Markham

Tom, Bill & Bingster's suggestions to move the black ringer wire from G to L1 should make it work.  Also, check your bias tension spring.  That is the thin wire between the gongs.  If you're looking at the ringer at eye level, with the gongs right in front of you, move the thin wire in the maze-like slot from the left side over to the right side.  That "loose" setting generally works best.

Phonesrfun

Did it work before you changed the line cord?
-Bill G

Dan

Does it work after you followed Dennis' advice?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright