News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Any Switchers out There? Xbar, SxS

Started by ESalter, January 23, 2011, 09:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

You might try Phil McCarter in Oregon.  He is best contacted by phone, and he looks at this forum from time to time.  He has a lot of SXS information.  He also sells a lot of stepper switches on e-bay under the name cougarvalleyhwt

I can give you his land line number or his C*Net number by private message.

-Bill G

thetammy0r

I'm Phil McCarters webmaster.  He wanted me to share the link to the gallery of his central office at his house.

http://www.strowgercentraloffice.com/gallery2/

Phil also has a dvd available that he discusses the different types of switching in detail.
Should you be intrested in the dvd you can purchase it here:

http://stores.ebay.com/cougarvalleyphonesandmore
--Tammy

DavePEI

I got interested in switching a few years ago, when I wanted to make a demo Strowger switch for the museum I started looking for selectors, connectors and line finders, relays, Lorain ring generator, etc., and wound up with this as a result...

The line finders were in poor shape - they were taken from an NB Co years ago in a dump truck, and dumped in a field for a number of years. The relays were severely bent, as was the shaft on one.

SO far, I have been unable to get those beaten up linefinders working correctly. One will step up to the correct level, but not rotate as it should.

However, I do have it working using a butt set on the selectors, and dialing and ringing either of two phones connected. The phones ring with 3 numbers, one absorbed in the selector, getting their final digit in the connector.

Someday I must try to find at least a couple of good linefinders and I can finish the job!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

marty

Hi All;
Dave, If you go to the TCI forum, (I am not sure of its Correct name) and let People there know what the Brand and What number of the LineFinder you have, I am Sure that someone has another one or the Parts that you would need to make the one you have, work right... And then You would have a working Step System, to Go along with your PayPhones...
THANK YOU Marty

marty

Hi All;
I should be getting this week and next week, (I hope) most of the Parts for my Step System.. And then the real Work begins, putting it all together and getting it to work with my Phones..
THANK YOU Marty

DavePEI

Quote from: marty on February 22, 2011, 08:35:30 AM
Hi All;
Dave, If you go to the TCI forum, (I am not sure of its Correct name) and let People there know what the Brand and What number of the LineFinder you have, I am Sure that someone has another one or the Parts that you would need to make the one you have, work right... And then You would have a working Step System, to Go along with your PayPhones...
THANK YOU Marty

Hi Marty:

Been there, done that. linefinders are relatively scarce, and there isn't an unlimited source of money. Being here in eastern Canada, shipping if extremely expensive, costing $50 to $100 per unit.

More than that, it is a project I got away from, and just haven't gotten back to. I can do a good demonstration of step switching, using the butt set at the selectors - everything but the linefinders work very well. What I need to do is set the finders up on my test stand and debug them - when I have time...
C*NET 1-651-0001

Phonesrfun

Dave:

Good to have you here.  I have been to your website many times in the last few years, but I am on the other side of the continent, and haven't had the ability to come see you in person, although I know of many out here on the west coast who have.

Dave, and Marty, we are having our northwest regional phone show in Seattle on May 14th, and we will be going through the Seattle Telecommunications museum after the show, if any are interested.  Come to think of it, I need to get the show posted on our calendar here in the forum.

-Bill
-Bill G

marty

Hi All;
I have received the first of my Stepper System parts, Some Pictures, I am going to Look at the DVD from Phil.. But, Phil has done a Great Job of Both Packing and getting what I have asked for... THANKS Phil..
THANK YOU Marty

marty

Hi All;
I have watched Phil's DVD and it is good and Phil, is in the process of making a second Version, Don't know when it will be out... I am in the process of taking the Wires off of the Banks, Lots of Fun !!!!
THANK YOU Marty

Phonesrfun

Quote from: marty on February 23, 2011, 06:09:30 PM
I am in the process of taking the Wires off of the Banks, Lots of Fun !!!!
THANK YOU Marty

Been there, done that.  It is a lot of work.  You can take the banks off the switch frames to aid in the desoldering, but by all means, don't try to disassemble tha banks themselves.
-Bill G

marty

HI All;
I have Already done that and  am in the Process of doing my first Bank, it is alot easier to desoler then when they are apart and also to trade out Bad or broken Insolator pieces... Since the Ones by the ends of the Bank are Broken for the most part.. and to get a Good Bank I have to use two for parts to get one good one...
THANK YOU Marty

DavePEI

Quote from: marty on February 23, 2011, 06:32:27 PM
HI All;
I have Already done that and  am in the Process of doing my first Bank, it is alot easier to desoler then when they are apart and also to trade out Bad or broken Insolator pieces... Since the Ones by the ends of the Bank are Broken for the most part.. and to get a Good Bank I have to use two for parts to get one good one...
THANK YOU Marty

Lots of luck, Marty:

Yes, I have to agree - it is much easier to unsolder with it disassembled, but not easy to put them back together. Just make sure you keep track with the wafer/spacers and keep everything together. I find if you have to disassemble them, that when putting them back together, start by assembling the bank on the two outer bank bolts, tighten lightly before inserting the rest. Finally,  tighten all. I had to take apart some of mine which had broken sections, too.
Not fun!

What are you getting for linefinders and relays?

Below photo of mine before wiring up the linefinder and connector banks, etc. in 2006.
C*NET 1-651-0001

marty

Hi All;
I am getting a 100 point LineFinder and the Relays from another Source, So I just Paid for them Today and So I won't see them for Another week or there abouts.. Then I have to see what else I may need, As I am so new to this phone/switcher thing, I have alot to learn...
I have not been able to get my stepper to step by pushing on the appropriate relay, Does anyone know If I have to have power applied to make them step.. I have a power supply, and I can make then go up and of course down... Also Thank You All for the Advice.. I am sure I will need more as time and equipment arrive... And Yes, I get Switchers Quarterly and have Downloaded ALL of the Back issues... as well as the appropriate SD's and CD's for the Equipment I have..
THANK YOU Marty

Phonesrfun

Regarding not stepping:

Did you remove the shipping keeper from the top of the shaft?
-Bill G

marty

Hi All;
Bill, I don't know if mine had this, it was tied in place using Telephone wire, which I removed.. and since putting it away this morning, I re-got it out this afternoon, and it did step, but only once , once it got all the way around, I released it and now it won't step again... I might not be releasing it correctly or I don't know what else to press to make it , to be able to step, something is binding it -- being able to step.. Most likely OPERATOR Error !!! THANK YOU Marty