News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

An example of what the CRPF ISN'T!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, March 09, 2016, 03:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I stumbled across a Camaro forum while looking for a spray paint that I will be using on a truck in my auto shop class (my teacher refuses to use anything more expensive than rattle cans ::) ).

The topic I read morphed from a member showing off his car after painting it with Rustoleum spray paint (and pretty well done at that) to other members spouting off at him about not using proper automotive paint or techniques. As I progressed through the topic, I watched as members made fun of him for living in a trailer home (maybe the reason for using spray paint?!?), called his finish 'crap', and tossed general insults for the sole enjoyment of tossing insults.

I was wondering when the moderator(s) would step in to try preventing any further argument, and then I realized: the first shot thrown was from a moderator!!!

While I agree with using automotive-quality paint on a car, some people don't have the money to do a professional job, and make due with what they can afford. In this case, the owner did a great job with $40, but members still slapped him down for not doing what they would have done.

If someone proudly came to this forum with a phone that they painted with a can of spray paint (and we do all the time, including me!), I know no one here would make fun of them for being poor or tell them it looks like crap. We would ask them what techniques they used, and what paint they used. If it looked great, we would compliment them and probably take note what he/she did so we can get a better result for our own projects. If it looked bad, we would actively give opinions on how to do it re-do it so it looks better next time.

The CRPF is the best example of a forum I have ever seen, and it's great to compare other forums to it!

(WARNING: rare swearing. I would have used "offensive language", but it's not exactly rare in that topic... :-\ )

http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/663134-rustoleum-40-dollar-paint.html
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

andre_janew

Looks like a good paint job to me!  There were a few members in that forum willing to admit how good it looks.  There will be critics and purists in every group and every forum.  Some may have more than others.

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

I have said it many times, including nearly every time I welcome a new member:

"The Best Forum On The Net"!

And I mean it!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 09, 2016, 03:43:40 PM
I stumbled across a Camaro forum while looking for a spray paint that I will be using on a truck in my auto shop class (my teacher refuses to use anything more expensive than rattle cans ::) ).

The topic I read morphed from a member showing off his car after painting it with Rustoleum spray paint (and pretty well done at that) to other members spouting off at him about not using proper automotive paint or techniques. As I progressed through the topic, I watched as members made fun of him for living in a trailer home (maybe the reason for using spray paint?!?), called his finish 'crap', and tossed general insults for the sole enjoyment of tossing insults.

I was wondering when the moderator(s) would step in to try preventing any further argument, and then I realized: the first shot thrown was from a moderator!!!

While I agree with using automotive-quality paint on a car, some people don't have the money to do a professional job, and make due with what they can afford. In this case, the owner did a great job with $40, but members still slapped him down for not doing what they would have done.

If someone proudly came to this forum with a phone that they painted with a can of spray paint (and we do all the time, including me!), I know no one here would make fun of them for being poor or tell them it looks like crap. We would ask them what techniques they used, and what paint they used. If it looked great, we would compliment them and probably take note what he/she did so we can get a better result for our own projects. If it looked bad, we would actively give opinions on how to do it re-do it so it looks better next time.

The CRPF is the best example of a forum I have ever seen, and it's great to compare other forums to it!

(WARNING: rare swearing. I would have used "offensive language", but it's not exactly rare in that topic... :-\ )

http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/663134-rustoleum-40-dollar-paint.html

Your description of the automotive forum sounds like the first phone forum I tried associated with a collectors group (I won't say which one).  I was getting beat up, insulted, and mocked when Dennis invited me to this forum.  I never looked back!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WesternElectricBen

That's because Camero guys just can not help it, the Trans Am guys are much more down to earth. :)

Ben

Slal

Quote from: Brinybay on March 13, 2016, 11:23:39 PM
Your description of the automotive forum sounds like the first phone forum I tried associated with a collectors group (I won't say which one).  I was getting beat up, insulted, and mocked when Dennis invited me to this forum.  I never looked back!

Just noticed this topic in browsing around and thought it interesting.  Similar experience a couple of years ago.   If it's the same group, not doing much for membership retention now are they! ; )

--Bruce