News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Do you test your project before or after cleaning?

Started by Scott, January 14, 2019, 01:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

Me too, I always check out any phone before cleaning it to see if there is anything wrong with it. Then I look it over carefully for cracks breaks etc.. then start taking it apart to clean it up and fix if necessary.
If it's an odd phone, I don't want to spend time cleaning it up if it's not going to be a keeper, Unless it's valuable.

Ken
KEN

Pourme

~

During that process, during which I give it a through visual inspection, is when I discovered my early ten key 1500 I found locally, for $15.00, was also increasingly rare because the handset was swirled in a ivory color!....Like I said, this is the most exciting part, next to the purchase it's self!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Quote from: Pourme on January 15, 2019, 11:04:58 AM
~

During that process, during which I give it a through visual inspection, is when I discovered my early ten key 1500 I found locally, for $15.00, was also increasingly rare because the handset was swirled in a ivory color!....Like I said, this is the most exciting part, next to the purchase it's self!

Good score! Yup, I know the feeling.  :)

19and41

I clean a phone to render it sufficiently hygienic for testing.  Then I properly clean it.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

I test it before I clean it.  I test it again after cleaning to make sure it still works.

Jim Stettler

I buy phones,
I usually don't test my phones,
I usually don't clean them either.
I usually don't dust them after they get dusty either.
That's just me,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Quote from: 19and41 on January 15, 2019, 04:12:55 PM
I clean a phone to render it sufficiently hygienic for testing.  Then I properly clean it.

Yes I do as well I've come across some raunchy phones before, and would touch it without a bit of a cleaning..
KEN

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

Quote from: Key2871 on January 15, 2019, 06:40:13 PM
Yes I do as well I've come across some raunchy phones before, and would touch it without a bit of a cleaning..

Yes, that is one point I forgot to include in my list. First thing I do when taking a phone out of the box is check for living things and remove them if found, usually spiders . . .  :-\

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

compubit

My 2 cents (aka, my process):

As soon as I get it in my hot little hands and home:
- if modular, plug it in in the kitchen to the XLink BTTN (all of the phones in the house run off that line, and I have a splitter on the line I can reverse if there is a polarity issue), verify ringing, dialing and transmit/receive.
- if not (4 prong or wire): down to the basement and connect to the Panasonic KX-TA624, and verify ringing, dialing and transmit/receive.
- if a frequency ringer, then I connect to an ATA where I can set the frequency to test.

Then clean... (which usually means send it down to the masement until I get some time to clean the phones...)

Jim

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

tubaman

My process usually goes something like this.
1. Gently shake box before opening to check for any ominous sounds.
2. Visual inspection of phone to check for any undeclared damage.
3. Base undone and insides inspected for originality and missing parts.
4. Transmitter and receiver caps off to check for correct elements and wiring.
5. Onto tester to check transmission, dialling, ringing.
6. Cleaning if required.
7. Try to find space in already overfull telephone room (aka spare bedroom) to display my new acquisition.
:)

Scott

Thanks everyone for the responses. More than one way to skin a telephone it looks like. I certainly agree there are some phones I would not touch with a ten foot pole before I clean it before I test it. Others I can't wait to see if it works. Hey Jim Stettler, I like your style. Unfortunately that would not work here. It looks like a lot feel the same way, start with an initial clean, fix stuff, then a final clean for display. Thanks everyone, this is a great place!

Scott K.