News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

bidding wars & phones of color & bleach

Started by suhoni56, October 16, 2014, 11:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suhoni56

This has probably been discussed in a previous thread (that I have not found yet), but no doubt some of us are bidding on the same phones on ebay.... 

I just won my first "not working" later model rotary phone, so time to learn about repairs! This is my first AE 80 series, a beautiful phone of color!! Can't wait to get my hands on it.....

I noticed the face of the earpiece looks faded. At first I thought it might be a blue one that had been used as a replacement. Then I noticed the side view looks okay. Maybe the owner used bleach to clean the contact areas of the mouth and ear pieces?
Susan

WEBellSystemChristian

It looks like the rest of the phone was light blue, but it faded to a greenish color over time. Gel peroxide and UV light should bring it back to the original color.

Nice find!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

suhoni56

Here is another pic showing the inside. Maybe the phone color is accurate, but the face of the earpiece has been bleached somehow.  Or else the inside has turned the same shade of green as the outside?
Which is more likely?

Just brainstorming here, I lack you guys' experience.... Here's a funny possibility: maybe it was a lady's phone, and she used peroxide products in her hair?
Susan

WEBellSystemChristian

As far as I know, Automatic Electric had aqua and turquoise for 80 models. It's possible that the phone was turquoise, and the handset caps broke. The caps could have been replaced with aqua parts that were faded to a turquoise color.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

baldopeacock

Jorge Amely has a really nice collection of color AE80s, and did a masterful job of restoring them.

There's a turquoise '80 in his collection that also has a slightly off-color handset cap.   Here's a link to his Picasa album which shows that phone and discusses the restoration.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/AE80InTurquoiseColorFrom1960 ( dead link 03-09-21 )

suhoni56

Thanks! What a beautiful restoration job!

I still don't understand though.... Can the inside change color, or is that what we go by to know what our target color is?
Susan

mentalstampede

Quote from: suhoni56 on October 16, 2014, 04:37:04 PM
Thanks! What a beautiful restoration job!

I still don't understand though.... Can the inside change color, or is that what we go by to know what our target color is?

The color on the inside is usually in much better condition since it is more protected from handling and ultraviolet light, unlike the external surfaces. Because of this, the inside color tends not to become discolored like the outside areas of the phone can.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein