"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Did I pay too much??

Started by Bill Cahill, September 26, 2009, 05:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

Well, Now, I'm furious!
Last week he sent me an e mail telling me his son was severely injured in an accident. He asked if I wanted a refund. I replied no. Just send the phones when you are able to.

I just got a refund for the phones.
I sent him a nasty e mail.
I wouldn't reccommend you guys bid on these phones. I'd say he'll play games with you, also.
I am fed up with ebay!
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

bwanna

bill, sounds like he wasn't happy with the selling price. what was his feedback score? although, i think sometimes, buyers & sellers don't leave honest feedback.  they don't want to risk getting a negative reply from the other party. i'd be po'ed too. >:(
donna

Bill Cahill

I believe his score was 100 percent positive.
Well, it ain't anymore. I'm really pissed off.
Bill Cahill  >:(

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Greg G.

That's not cool.  I don't buy his "the dog ate my homework" type of story either.  Call my cynical, but I bet the real story is he only guessed at the shipping costs and then found out he was way off, also what he could have got for the phones themselves.   He's stuck with the sale price, but if the shipping cost would have been much more, he could have come clean and at least tried to work something else out.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan

He should have sold them to you; if he didn't like the price, he should have been smart enough to place a reserve on the auction. Sorry he screwed you Bill.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Bill Cahill

Me too...
I got another nasty e mail from him two days ago.
Claimed he is an honest person, but, never lets his auctions go fro more than a month. Claims he is going to contact ebay, and, Pay Pal to tell them he can't finnish his present auctions.
Said I was being nasty to him, and, not understanding.
You know what I said before his e mail?
"... I am very angry that you did this, and, ... Forget it. I'm just fed up with the whole deal.
I hope your son gets better soon. Good luck.
William Cahill "

And, that was my "nasty" e mail to him.

mienaichizu

he should have sold it to you, a deal is a deal

Dennis Markham

Bill I know that it is disappointing that this deal fell through.  But sometimes we have to give a person the benefit of the doubt when it comes to family illness and injury.  Unexpected things happen.  Several years ago my son, a 10th grader at the time suffered a severe injury that required several surgeries and a lot of parental attention.  Thankfully there are a lot of smart people out there  (Physicians, Nurses, Physical Therapists, etc.) and he is fine now.  But at the time it was very stressful.  The last thing I would have been worried about would have been an eBay transaction.

It looks like the guy offered and then did return your money and apologized.   Hopefully there will be another opportunity for a deal such as that one.  Who knows, when the dust settles with this seller maybe he'll re-list them.  It was nice of you to send good wishes to his son.

Bill Cahill

Dennis, that wasn't the point. I had told him to take his time, that the child came first. I said just whip it when you are able to. That's why he angered me so much.
I was willing to wait.
Bill Cahill

bwanna

i agree with dennis, when your child needs you, all else is put aside.

bill, maybe he didn't feel right about keeping your money, if he wasn't going to ship the phones right away. least he could have done was offer to keep your name& complete the transaction when he was able.

watch his listings, to see if he is still selling. that will tell you whether he is telling the truth or not.

at any rate, i hope his kid is ok. and i am sorry about your deal gone sour. :(
donna

Bill Cahill

Well, it's the third sour deal this year alone!
Three items ago, I bid on, and, won an Admiral 1951 bakelite radio-phonograph. I gave her instructions on careful packing.
She didn't follow them. She threw a picece of plastic in phono compartment, used a flimsy box, and, wadded up a couple pieces of newspaper, and, voolah!
Instant garbage!
All in many bite sized pieces!
When I e mailed complainning, she repled "It was just an old piece of junk in my garage. It wasn't important.".
Sure. I got my money back, but, the point is I wanted that piece for restoration, and, use in my collection.
Two weeks later I stripped it, and, threw it in the trash....
I'm losing interest in ebay....  :(

Bill Cahill

Greg G.

Sorry to hear the horror stories of mailed artifacts.  Next to the shipping costs, that always makes me nervous.  So far, I've been lucky.  I got my third phone via mail, and it's the second one from ebay, the other was a CL purchase.  I instructed the seller to wrap the handset seperately and place it beside the phone, not on the cradle.  Sure, they followed my instructions, but only exactly what I said.  I neglected to tell them to put padding underneath, and they didn't.  It was wrapped in only 4 pages of newspaper.  Fortunately it came in one piece all the way from West Virginia, but only by sheer luck.  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

where's the phone ???

never mind. i found it ;)
donna