"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New Tool Set and Looking for More!

Started by DavePEI, September 01, 2013, 09:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Hi all:

Thanks to Teleplay's pointing it out to me, I now own a 1012A tool kit for replacing coils in 286, 287, and 288 type relays. It was found on eBay, and with John's assistance I was able to buy it though the seller didn't sell to Canada. This set originally came from the South Milwaukee, WI. C.O.

A couple of years ago, I found the NE version of the 1014B kit for replacing parts of AF, AG, AJ, and AK relays.

These are interesting tools, and have been/will be added to the museum collection.

I am still looking for any unusual tools not in the collection. If you have what you think is an unusual tool, run it by me. Of course I would love to add it to the collection, but I would love to even simply see one it if I haven't seen one before... I would also like to post information and photos here to help others..

Below, you will see a photo of the 1012A set - you can find details on both the 1012A set and the 1014B set in BSP 050-272-801 I6.

Tools currently in the collection:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/tools_switching.pdf

Dave

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: DavePEI on September 01, 2013, 09:09:31 PM
A couple of years ago, I found the NE version of the 1014B kit for replacing parts of AF, AG, AJ, and AK relays.
Here is a photo of the 1014B kit I received a couple of years ago for replacing parts of AF, AG, AJ, and AK relays.....

Full details on the use of this kit may be found in the TCI library under BSP 040-272-801.

As I have said many times, there was a tool for just about any purpose. Oviously, I have an fascination in the tools of the industry. I don't consider myself an expert, but do have one of the larger tool collections around, in the museum. Once again, if you have any I don't have, I'd love to see them so that I can look for one in the future for the museum collection, and we can share information about the tool here.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

K1WI

Dave,
  Nice to see someone preserving all these treasures of the past. Thankfully there are still the BSPs or NTPs to explain their use.     Most of the time these tools just sat untouched in a cabinet , and then thrown out when the CO switch was upgraded or replaced.  Worked as a switchman (CO tech) or equipment installer for 35years and witnessed a relay winding replaced only once in all that time !   Even the digital switches came with these types of tools , Nortel DMS 10s and DMS 100-200s came with the NE marked kits until Nortel's demise....and there are few if any relays to mess with. Funny but the newer switches always came with tools that the CO folk would never use like strain gauges , mechanical tachometers , torkwrenches.

Andy F    K1WI
Andy F    K1WI