News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

12/51 Two Toned 500 set

Started by Doug Rose, January 29, 2017, 09:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Janet found this last summer and thought she had a great find. Under closer examination the dates do not match and the red soft plastic shell has a tiny crack on each corner  :-X

I am not a 500 guy, but I have never seen the handset connection like this....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

"500", 500A, and 500B had a 311A equalizer. 500T, and later 500J, 500K had just the connecting block for the handset cord, as in your phone. See Paul's site:
http://paul-f.com/we500t.htm

Your phone was apparently converted from a 500T or 500K to a 500D, which meant replacing the 425A network with a 425B. Note the "53A" stamp on the base pan, which is the code for a two-tone red telephone set. "500DR-53A."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

Interesting find, Doug.

The bottom date is consistent with a 500T set.

If you look closely with light from the side, you may be able to make out the original letter under the C/D marking.

What's the date on the network?

Most T to D conversions I've seen were done before 1955. Most still had the original set date on the bottom, while some had that overpainted with the conversion date. The new C/D markings wasn't always in the same position. Apparently the marking standards were uncharacteristically loose at that time.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

Was the coiled handset typical for 1951 ? Would the handset cord more likely be straight, and gray color ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

Paul..... 9 54 on the network, I took the phone outside with a flash light and I cannot see under the C/D stamp.

David.....thank you for the info on the phone I did not know the 53A ment a two tone red.

I am taking form the post that this is a real two tone and not a made up after market phone.

thanks guys...both of you never disappoint....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Dan...the handset is a seven old and a later add...Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

we all learned something, tpday. Doug's find turned into something special....Also, your wife was proven right, as well. I'm sure that happens often, Doug!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Dan/Panther

Mrs. Rose, be kind to Doug, He's still learning.
It's a G-3 ?
What should the handset cord be ?
That's great that Paul confirms it's a factory set up, except for handset, and the network.

Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

unbeldi

It is not a factory-made two-tone set.
A customer ordered a two-tone set and the set was built in the telco shop or the WECo distributing center from reconditioned parts in stock, adding a new or recent red 1955 housing. The set was remarked with the 53A stamp.

Doug Rose

Trust me.... Janet know who the boss is..... ;D   and it isn't me    >:(
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: unbeldi on January 29, 2017, 11:27:29 AM
It is not a factory-made two-tone set.
A customer ordered a two-tone set and the set was built in the telco shop or the WECo distributing center from reconditioned parts in stock, adding a new or recent red 1955 housing. The set was remarked with the 53A stamp.
Karl....thanks for the clarification ...Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 29, 2017, 11:14:37 AM
Was the coiled handset typical for 1951 ? Would the handset cord more likely be straight, and gray color ?

D/P

This 500T from 1951 has a straight cord.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16922.msg174570#msg174570
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

andre_janew

Because it most likely started out as an all black phone, I think it had a straight black handset cord at one time.  The color of the cords on two tone sets, I've noticed, usually match the color of the dial and handset.

WEBellSystemChristian

Great find, Doug!!

Definitely an original Two Tone 500: the only time matching dates don't really matter in the world of 500s! ;)

I have 4 two-tone 500s, and none of them are remotely Bell concoctions.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

RotarDad

Christian - the term "original" must be carefully applied.   If I understand this correctly, there are four types of two-tones:

1) Western Electric factory-assembled units made in '53 before color handsets and dials were available.  These were usually marked with the color code and an "A" on the bottom. Dates will closely match.
2) Refurbished units assembled during that mid-fifties time period and often also marked with the "A" - Doug's '51 is one of those.
3) Field units with swapped shells per customer request.  These are hard to prove, but some very old, unmolested sets with mid-fifties color shells might be period pieces.
4) All the others put together by hobbyists and hopeful resellers.

The value of these is pretty much in the same order, with 1) being the most desirable.    One other way to narrow down what might be original is by color - if the shell is anything other than Ivory -50, Green -51, Gray -52, or Red -53, the phone is not a WE factory two-tone.
Paul