News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

12/51 Two Toned 500 set

Started by Doug Rose, January 29, 2017, 09:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Here is what a factory-fresh 500D–53A looked like in July 1955 when BSP C14.002 was published.
Shortly thereafter, the standard versions had a coiled cord.

Despite the few discoveries of 1953 date stamps on colored sets, no color 500s were really available until 1954, according to Bell sources. Initially, factory two-tone sets were available only in ivory, green, gray, and red, but the full set was supplied later until 1957 or so. Some of the Bell companies had their separate policies about issuing two-tone sets and some company BSP addenda are available on various sites, incl. the TCI library.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: RotarDad on January 29, 2017, 09:29:11 PM
Christian - the term "original" must be carefully applied.   If I understand this correctly, there are four types of two-tones:

1) Western Electric factory-assembled units made in '53 before color handsets and dials were available.  These were usually marked with the color code and an "A" on the bottom. Dates will closely match.
2) Refurbished units assembled during that mid-fifties time period and often also marked with the "A" - Doug's '51 is one of those.
3) Field units with swapped shells per customer request.  These are hard to prove, but some very old, unmolested sets with mid-fifties color shells might be period pieces.
4) All the others put together by hobbyists and hopeful resellers.

The value of these is pretty much in the same order, with 1) being the most desirable.    One other way to narrow down what might be original is by color - if the shell is anything other than Ivory -50, Green -51, Gray -52, or Red -53, the phone is not a WE factory two-tone.
I fully understand how two tones were built/refurbished. By 'original', I meant 'done by Bell'. I consider two tones the only real method of telco refurb that was an improvement collectability-wise, in most cases. It's funny--I subconsciously consider any other refurb 'not original'. How is this an exception in my head?!? :o

Do you think the collector community would look down on me using pre-'57 color housings on older black chassis? I know my frankenphones aren't nearly as valuable as the 'originals', but I get to use up spare parts, and I have a wider variety of color phones in my collection. :)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Jim Stettler

I have always felt that homemade 2-tone frankenphones are ok when you are creating a "placeholder" for your collection.
Where it gets murky is when the set changes hands without it being disclosed.
JMO,
Jim S.

The earliest red 2-tone 500 set I have seen was on EBAY. I was holding out a snipe and someone  talked the seller into cancelling the auction and  selling it.  I don't remember the month or day but the year was 52. (yellow ink)

Yes I know that they didn't  "officially" make red housing for 500 sets in 1952. That is why I was interested in it.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.