News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"NEW" 1938 W.E. 306?

Started by HarrySmith, February 18, 2019, 06:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Just found this "NOS" 302 on eBay. Not sure abot the "Brand New" claim but it is a pretty phone!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113652343870
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan/Panther

It's lightly used not new, and it's got a metal housing.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

I guess it was lightly used. I cannot see a mark in the cradle where the paint usually chips.  The chip in the finger wheel was from some one installing the retainer ring. One curiosity is the 4H Dial in a '38 302.  Looks really nice to me, cloth cords look good for what can been seen in the pics....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

The dial looks like it is marked 5 and the box is stamped 5H?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

It's a 302, not a 306. (306 has a tube.)

I agree that it is a II 38 5H dial, not a 4H. 5H dials still had the W terminal next to the governor as late as III 38, although there were some 5Hs with the W next to the Y terminal by II 38.

This dial also apparently has the large phenol pulse pawl, which went away after II 38 (except for test boards and attendant consoles).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dan/Panther

Doug;
I was referring to the plungers being worn, and the paint chips next to the cradle, where you would natuarlly bump the headset into when hanging up.

D/P

Doug Rose

Hey Dan....I certainly agree, I was just commenting on how lightly used it was. You are correct in you accessment
Kidphone

Key2871

Wow, what a sharp looking set!  I once found a 102 in an antique store, in that same condition, it didn't even have marks on the Spade ends of the line cord...

Those are indeed hard to find in that condition..

Ken
KEN

FABphones

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 19, 2019, 12:45:53 PM
Doug;
I was referring to the plungers being worn, and the paint chips next to the cradle, where you would natuarlly bump the headset into when hanging up.

D/P

I never cease to be amazed by you guys. When I'm halfway as good at spotting these things I'll be twice as good as I am now.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Dan/Panther

Quote from: FABphones on February 19, 2019, 05:00:09 PM
I never cease to be amazed by you guys. When I'm halfway as good at spotting these things I'll be twice as good as I am now.  :)

No special magic here, just since I found that 48-500, I look carefully at as much of the photo as I can.  Just a little thought here an there,  then stuff jumps out.  For example the plungers, if not used, how did they get so scuffed up ? If the case was thought to be Tenite, then why is there gray looking inside. Mainly two objectives, What should it look like, what should it NOT look like.

One question, What about the Duck ?

D/P