News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

RARE antique telephone Chinese motif rose quartz medallion Northern Electric

Started by Doug Rose, May 06, 2014, 05:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Did anyone watch this on eBay?  I was watching ready to bid then it went from $38 to $250. It ended at $926!!! Anyone have any info in it. It was one town over from me. Bought by the guy who has been hitting the really nice top end phone lately...Doug

http://tinyurl.com/mxczfjc
Kidphone

tallguy58

Probably real gold and worth a hundred times what he paid. At least I'm sure he's hoping.
Cheers........Bill

paul-f

Most phones with decorative covers like this were done in Sterling.  Often the cover maker's name is visible along the bottom back edge of the cover.

They show up more frequently on Kellogg Grabaphones (both dial and manual) and less frequently on Federal Grabaphone-style sets.

We watched one on ebay a while ago, where the seller was fishing for even more dollars.
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7792.msg85783#msg85783

There was also a 1970s Japanese plastic candlestick set with a similar looking base design.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE40FAN

BDM

Guys I'm missing it here. Please what am I missing in relation to price? I mean hey, it's his/her money so spend it the way he/she sees fit. Personally this phone has no appeal what so ever with me but that's subjective.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

LarryInMichigan

Garish, tacky, ugly, and hideous are some of the adjectives which come to my mind when looking at this phone.  It I had one, and it was worth $$$, I would be happy to sell it.

Larry

paul-f

Fortunately, we don't all like exactly the same type and style of phones.

If we did, the (few) models we liked would be prohibitively expensive and the ones we didn't like would be headed for the dump.

I'm sure anyone could find something in any of our collections they thought was ugly.

Decorated phones like this have some interest to some phone collectors who like attachments and aftermarket add-ons.  However, they may be more popular with decorators, upscale home owners and jewelers.

I find it fascinating that there was enough of a market when these were done to support several makers making them for several different phone models, and would enjoy seeing a collection of them.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

BDM

I agree and the reason I won't knock someone for liking something I do not. It's just a hobby, no right or wrong. Spend your money however you will. The only time I get angry is when I see someone get shafted due to purposefully misrepresented items. Which has nothing to do with this post.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

LarryInMichigan

I didn't intend to knock anyone.  I personally strongly dislike such things, but everyone is entitled to their own likes  I apologize if I have offended anyone.

Larry