News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Switching Discussions / Re: Party lines
Last post by poplar1 - Today at 06:27:54 PM
Fayetteville, GA, had a Western Electric Community Dial Office with 10-party lines. Only 5 cadences were needed since half the parties had ringers wired tip to ground, and the other 5 had ringers wired ring to ground.

This was a "terminal per line" office. The last digit determined which party code was sent. The first 6 digits were the same for all 10 parties on the same line. Subscribers heard up to 5 cadences: 4 for the parties with ringers wired to the same side of the line + their own cadence.
Last post by 5415551212 - Today at 04:05:35 PM
Wow thanks, yeah I thought I remembered lines that had more than 4.
Auction Talk / Picture Phone Fraudster Back
Last post by JB-Alert - Today at 04:03:29 PM
Apparently same fraudster as before, with one of the auction item pictures having instructions to pay at his web address, same for the hundreds of other items for the account they took over.  I reported it to eBay, and got following message within 12 hours:

"Thanks again for reporting the listing(s) you found.
What happened:  We looked into your report and didn't find the listing to be in violation of our policy.  This determination was made by a customer service agent
."

I noticed all the listings were taken down the next day.

Lot of work the fraudster did to take over an account, update the pictures and description for hundreds of items.  But if one person falls for it, it must be worth their time!
Last post by Stormcrash - Today at 03:44:55 PM
Quote from: 5415551212 on Today at 11:19:05 AMHow may subscribers could a party line support?
I have seen some old advertising about 2 party and 4 party lines. What was the maximum number of phones (or subscribers) a Central office could support on a party line?

The North Electric CX-100 at the Connections Museum in Seattle supports up to 10 parties on a single party line. It does this via a coded ringing scheme with 10 different ring cadences.
Last post by poplar1 - Today at 01:42:31 PM
In a local battery system, with 5-bar hand generators, up to 40 parties on a 50-mile long line.
Page 263 of Western Electric Catalog #9, 1935, in TCI Library (telephonecollectors.info)
Quote from: HarrySmith on Today at 09:33:10 AMThanks Ron. I could do that but it would be easier and less time consuming if someone already knows which goes where  ;D

Well that's just taking all the fun out of it.
Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Re: 3554 ISSUE
Last post by HarrySmith - Today at 11:56:01 AM
Yes, now I do :o
I will fix it tonight.
Thanks.
General Switching Discussions / Party lines
Last post by 5415551212 - Today at 11:19:05 AM
How may subscribers could a party line support?
I have seen some old advertising about 2 party and 4 party lines. What was the maximum number of phones (or subscribers) a Central office could support on a party line?
Last post by poplar1 - Today at 10:43:05 AM
Do you see, in the NE 500 circuit, how if you move the slate hook switch wire to A, you would be short-circuiting the 2650 ohm ringer coil, whenever the phone is on-hook?
Last post by HarrySmith - Today at 10:31:14 AM
I will remove, tape & store the slate hook switch wire. I have the ringer wired as we discussed previously.
RED - L2
BLACK - L1
SLATE - K
SLATE/RED - A
I think that is correct. I have not modified any of the other wiring at all.
Thanks for the advice.