News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anyone live in or near Red Wing, Minnesota? (CL listing)

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, February 11, 2014, 06:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I found a listing with 4 WE phones, one of them appears to be a soft plastic, fat switch hook, grey corded 554 in red. They want $40, pick up only.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/atq/4329240293.html ( dead link 04-21-21 )

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Greg G.

If they were in my area, I would grab them.  2 of them appear to be modular, but I don't discount those until I've had a closer look.  I saw a beat looking beige modular 500 in Goodwill one time, almost past it up, but decided to give it a closer look.  When I turned it over, it had a clean black bottom with triangle leather feet, so I grabbed it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Brinybay on February 11, 2014, 06:48:14 PM
If they were in my area, I would grab them.  2 of them appear to be modular, but I don't discount those until I've had a closer look.  I saw a beat looking beige modular 500 in Goodwill one time, almost past it up, but decided to give it a closer look.  When I turned it over, it had a clean black bottom with triangle leather feet, so I grabbed it.

Nice find! The best I've ever found in a goodwill was a 1983 SC Slimline.
Christian Petterson

Dennis Markham

That may be a black handset cord on that Red 554.  Is the finger wheel a closed center or open center wheel? 

WesternElectricBen

I live in Minnesota, or as the Southerners refer to it as, MinneSNOWta.. hehe

Red Wing is about a 1 hour and 15 min drive, from where I live. It would be nice to pick them up, but it would be expensive. For me that is.

Ben

poplar1

Looks like a newer finger wheel but the chrome hanger is very early.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Contempra

Nice find.. $40 for four phones , this is not expensive. If they were in my area, hmmmm !!, I would grab them all ...

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 11, 2014, 08:50:33 PM
That may be a black handset cord on that Red 554.  Is the finger wheel a closed center or open center wheel? 

As a guy who has spent hours of my life studying various WE 500 fingerwheels on eBay and CL, that definitely looks like a closed center. The rest of the phone is a mystery.
Christian Petterson

Kenton K

Quote from: poplar1 on February 11, 2014, 09:02:54 PM

Just curious, hat make the chrome hanger early? Don't most 544s have chrome hooks?

K

poplar1

Quote from: Kenton K on February 11, 2014, 10:21:45 PM

Just curious, hat make the chrome hanger early? Don't most 544s have chrome hooks?

K

The one on the red phone is much wider than the one on the yellow phone. They were made that way for just a few years.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Contempra

Quote from: Kenton K on February 11, 2014, 10:21:45 PM

K

I agree, however I have two 554 wall mount and they have both a chromed hook...;)....but then I don't know a 544. someone has some pictures of this phone ?.

Greg G.

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on February 11, 2014, 08:58:30 PM

Red Wing is about a 1 hour and 15 min drive, from where I live. It would be nice to pick them up, but it would be expensive. For me that is.

Ben

Any friends or relatives near the phones?  I live in Seattle but also look for phones in Portland, OR.  Mom lives just this side of the river from Portland in Vancouver, WA.  By paying a visit to her during the same trip, I don't include the cost of gas as part of the phone because it was a visit to Mom and I just happened to get a phone while I was there. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Brinybay on February 12, 2014, 12:15:07 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on February 11, 2014, 08:58:30 PM

Ben

Any friends or relatives near the phones?  I live in Seattle but also look for phones in Portland, OR.  Mom lives just this side of the river from Portland in Vancouver, WA.  By paying a visit to her during the same trip, I don't include the cost of gas as part of the phone because it was a visit to Mom and I just happened to get a phone while I was there. 

Nah, it is too bad..

Ben

ESalter

My in-laws are from Winona, MN.  About an hour south of Red Wing - just a little too far to justify sending them.

---Eric