News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WWII Signal Corps US Army Phone Antique TP-6A Rotary Telephone

Started by Doug Rose, March 13, 2014, 05:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Found this Signal Corps North. Are these bakelite like the regular north shells? The back is completely different than the bakelite of Metal Norths. Looks like a cool phone to play with....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Nice set!  I believe most were plastic, but some early housings may have been bakelite.

Check out these references for things to look for:

http://www.paul-f.com/north1.htm
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4513.0

There were several different dials.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

mentalstampede

I have a North TP-6-A. Mine is plastic with a bakelite handset.  Although they look like a Galion on the outside, on the inside they're pretty much a copy of a 302 turned sideways.  I don't have one to compare, but I remember hearing once that the North TP-6-As have slightly different dimensions from a standard Galion.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

rdelius

These had plastic shells. I have never seen one of these with WWll dates on the data plate or molded in

LarryInMichigan

Mine has a plastic shell.  The inside of the base looks just like a Connecticut 'toaster'.  The dimensions are different than the regular H-series.

Larry

Doug Rose

thanks guys....I start on it this weekend.

Kenn...yours is a beauty!....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Not much of a difference on the to the outsides, they are the same length, bottom sides are bit taller on the Signal Corps. The back of the Signal Corps is the big difference.  Insides are totally different, no WE parts at all. I am in the process of refurbing it....Doug
Kidphone

mentalstampede

Looks like it's got potential.... Need some novus on that thing.   The line cord does not look original; it should have a straight rubber cord that enters through a grommet like the handset cord does.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Doug Rose

The handset cord is real....the line cord I added to see if it works. It does. Cleaned up great....pictures to follow. I think it is bakelite, but I could not risk it. Brasso and hours of elbow grease. it was covered with something very sticky......Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

This was a bear to do. I thought it was bakelite, but didn't dare try fine steel wool. Something was all over it before the dirt set it.Brasso loosened it, but didn't remove it. Finally all the goop of and it looks great. Fully functional. I am very pleased with it....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

a few more pics
Kidphone

mentalstampede

That looks great!  The handset should definitely be bakelite, but the body probably isn't.