News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Perfectly hideous chinese lamp...

Started by twocvbloke, November 04, 2017, 06:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Well, I thought my uncle had thrown this lamp out, seems he hadn't, so, I'm about to do so (it's worthless chinese junk that doesn't work worth a number two), but before I do, I thought I'd at least snap a few pics of it... ;D

Don't know anything of it's history, the box is tatty and shows how low-budget the thing is, the metalwork is thin and makes a Pepsi can look like a steel girder, it hasn't got enough airflow to sustain a decent flame, and on peeling off the charity shop price label, some of the coloured glaze stuff peeled off... ::)

Yes, I know I'm spoiled by Aladdin mantle lamps, but, I think this is far beyond the bottom end of the market lamp-wise... :o

Oh, and as it lacked a wick, I borrowed Blue stinky's wick, and on putting it back I lit it and young Peggy seems to worship lanterns... ;D

Dan/Panther

Why would you throw it out. It appears mint with the original box. I'm sure a collector somewhere would love that to add to their collection.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AE_Collector

Well hopefully "throw it out" means donate it to a charity thrift store where someone will likely want it and generate some cash for the charity.

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 04, 2017, 12:01:32 PM
Why would you throw it out. It appears mint with the original box.

It's a poor quality item that makes the chinese lanterns I bought a while back look like they were made by Deitz, and as for mint, the glaze/paint/whatever it is on the chimney peeled off easily when removing that price label, so it's not exactly mint...

Quote from: AE_Collector on November 04, 2017, 12:10:28 PM
Well hopefully "throw it out" means donate it to a charity thrift store where someone will likely want it and generate some cash for the charity.

Terry

Sadly they won't take such things any more, they tend to throw them out too as nobody buys them (bearing in mind this one sold for £1.99 from a charity shop that changed it's name from Help the Aged to AgeUK many years ago indicating when this thing was bought!!), charity shops these days are only interested in things that they can over-charge for, and for chinese lamps, they can't get anything worthwhile for them...

twocvbloke

I just remembered about my blue lamp I had about 8 years ago, it was the same type of lamp but with dark blue coloured glass, and it too was terrible (poor flame, flimsy metalwork, etc.), but in its' case, a clumsy cat smashed the tank, the chimney later was broken from being knocked over and it cracked, shame really, I liked the colour:

Babybearjs

they might be cheap, but the glass is beautiful...
John

19and41

When I find a lamp with applied color like those, I have to get out ye olde acetone to wipe the chimney.  Paint is colorful, but on a working chimney, it is sacrificial.  :'(
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on January 20, 2018, 08:28:21 AM
When I find a lamp with applied color like those, I have to get out ye olde acetone to wipe the chimney.  Paint is colorful, but on a working chimney, it is sacrificial.  :'(

This is what I know of colored globes, from www.lanternnet.com FAQ's page.

"Three different types of colored globes:  Solid Color; Annealed Color, and Flashed Color.  Each color type has it's advantages and disadvantages.  Here are the differences: 

Solid Color Globes are made of colored glass.  The advantages of solid color glass are that the color is permanent, and cannot be removed.  The disadvantage is that dark solid colors limit the transmission distance and light output.

Flashed Globes are made of clear glass with colored lacquer applied in a cold process.  The advantages of flashed color are good light transmission, excellent depth of color, UV stable, and are are economically priced.  The disadvantages are that over time, through use the color will "cook" and darken towards the top of the globe.  Also, it is possible to remove the color, so no harsh cleaners or solvents should be used.

Annealed Globes are made of clear glass with baked on color.  The advantages of annealed color are that is it more durable than flashed globes, has good light transmission, and are are economically priced.  The disadvantage are that annealed color is not as UV stable as flashed color, and will appear more "washed out" than flashed globes over time."

I guess those cheap globes you have the luck of finding are "flashed" colors.

twocvbloke

That awful one certainly had the "flashed" colour, it couldn't withstand a paper label being peeled off and took a section of the colour with it...

AL_as_needed

Is the metal of that lamp also treated to the "wonderful" color palate? If it came off the globe with ease, I'd bet the brass (or whatever metal they used) could also clean up if it were.  Outside of the ugly color splashes, that could at least be a decent plain lamp.
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

The metalwork was very thin and weak, like I said in the initial post, it was flimsy enough to make a pepsi can look like a steel girder, it was also rusty in several places under the brass-colour coating (whether it was plated, anodised or painted, I don't know), it was certainly made to a very low cost, and only meant as a novelty item, the thing didn't work properly, produced a poor flame (bearing in mind I fitted it with a good wick), and was unreliable...

There are far better "cheapo" lamps out there, even the chinese Duplex burner lamps are much nicer, and quite common so cheap to acquire, I'd get one, only there's two electric versions downstairs (one I've shown previously with the green glass shade)... :)

AL_as_needed

Well its good to know that "made in china" has been a disclaimer for disappointment for some time now. Consistency!  ;D
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Technically speaking, it was made in Hong Kong, and by the age of it, HK was probably still under UK government control, so, it was made in the British Empire... ;D

AL_as_needed

Ah, that's a shame then. Sorry for your loss.  :P

TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Loss? Nothing lost here, well, maybe my sanity a little, as proven by "salvaging" a neighbours broken cheap, poor quality TV (Want the LED array from it!!) this evening, probably made in china... ;D