News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Any Idea What This Is

Started by Doug Rose, June 15, 2011, 02:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I couldn't resist this on eBay, I just came today. It polished up beautifully. I appears to be copper. It has one mounting screw hole on the back. I thought it was a sewing machine pedal, but its too small. 3 1/2 by1 1/2. I think its very cool, but What is it?.....Doug
Kidphone

bingster

I don't know what it is, but it would make an awesome belt buckle.
= DARRIN =

Adam

I think the clue to what this might be, is where it says "No 682".

I have a strong feeling this was an identification badge, that either a Western Electric plant employee or security guard would wear.  The single screw hole on the back could be how it was attached to an eyelet in the clothing.

No matter what it is, I agree with Bingster.  Awesome.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

K1WI

I've seen similar , but not the exact emblem , on very early WECo appliances , Vaccum cleaners , sewing machines etc.    Also Western Electric theater amplifier systems used an emblem close to yours but most I have seen have  a "lightening bolt'  insignia on them.
   I'll take a guess with all the european cities on it that it was a consumer appliance.
       Andy    K1WI

PS    It IS awesome !

K1WI

I can help you date it.  Western Electric sold all of its European operations in 1925 . They did keep one factory in Woolwich , UK for a while making 3 box wooden phones , but even that closed shortly after.

Andy   K1WI   

Sargeguy

682 looks like a serial number rather than a model number.  Very fancy!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409