News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Did I go to far with the chemical treatment on my WE500 blue?

Started by maarm, July 03, 2014, 06:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maarm

What options do I have now? I used Salon care 40 volume creme on my WE500 Aqua Blue,  but I think I left it out to long. There are now whitish splotches on the handset and a few on the caps.
If sanding is my only option, I have never sanded on a plastic phone so am not sure how to start.
The last picture is how the phone looked before I stated.
Thanks for any advice. Mike

Mike

LarryInMichigan

I learned the wrong way that peroxide can easily over-bleach colored plastic.  Sanding may be the only option.

Larry

AE40FAN

I've learned that 40 is too strong.  Start with 20 next time and check on it every 30 minutes. 

LarryInMichigan

Someone here last year discussed using chlorine bleach and water in sunlight and warmth.  I have done that several time with good results.

Larry

maarm

So I guess my next step will be to sand. Is this to take off the discolored layers down to the original color? What type of sandpaper should I use and what grit should I start with?

Quote from: AE40FAN on July 04, 2014, 08:41:44 AM
I've learned that 40 is too strong.  Start with 20 next time and check on it every 30 minutes. 

That's what I thought, after the fact of course. Next light colored phone I do, I will get a bottle of 20.
Mike

unbeldi

Quote from: maarm on July 03, 2014, 06:48:30 PM
What options do I have now? I used Salon care 40 volume creme on my WE500 Aqua Blue,  but I think I left it out to long. There are now whitish splotches on the handset and a few on the caps.
If sanding is my only option, I have never sanded on a plastic phone so am not sure how to start.
The last picture is how the phone looked before I stated.
Thanks for any advice. Mike

I learned that one has to be very careful bleaching the pastel colored plastics, such as pink, aqua blue.  But when over-bleached, sanding quickly restores the color. I think I used 1000- or 1200-grit paper at that point.

The patchiness of your surface may be caused by not careful cleaning before bleaching.  Any contamination on the surface, even fingerprints can cause uneven bleaching. The surface should be scrubbed thoroughly first and then not touched with bare fingers.

maarm

Thanks for the info and comments. I'll start sanding  with 600 grit first and move toward 2000. Once I am finished, I'll post pics of my next mistake. :)
Mike

WEBellSystemChristian

When I use the peroxide on my blue phone parts, they normally look like this when they come out. All I have to do is use a little polish and they look like new.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

In my experimenting with the Salon Care peroxide I have found the most important thing is equal coverage and equal exposure. I use the creme formula, not the liquid as it is easier to spread evenly and stays in place, using a 1 inch paintbrush to spread it. I also turn the container every so often to get sun at all angles and keep the coverage even by dabbing more Creme where needed.
I ruined some junk phones and one Yellow handset in the beginning but have it figured out pretty well now.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Partyline4

I usually put a cap full of bleach with a big tub of water (enough to cover the part) and just let it sit!

I've had great luck with this method.

Very good for removing "smokers grime".

Yeah.

Kenton K

Just one cap of bleach, in a bucket of water, in the sun?

Wow. That sounds super easy.

podor

If you sand, you will probably need access to a bench grinder with a buffing wheel. Even 2000 grit sandpaper will not be a factory shine. I restored a light blue 2851 that was badly discolored and sanding worked well, but it is very time consuming and requires a great deal of patients. I started with 600 and worked to 1500 and finished with the buffer.

Partyline4

Quote from: Kenton K on February 26, 2015, 01:34:27 AM
Just one cap of bleach, in a bucket of water, in the sun?

Wow. That sounds super easy.

Clorox is actually pretty strong!

Grandma showed me the trick :)

It does the trick for me!

I recently got used to Novus #2 polishing.

Polished up my 12/52 500 and WOW!

Not excellent, but great in my book!

I recently today used some black shoe polish on a Heemaf 50 that I've got.

I've included some before and after pics.

I think someone tried to restore it before me....

Novus wouldn't even remotely bring a shine.....

Neither would Brasso

Shoe polish wasn't excellent, but I'm happy with it; that's what counts.  ;)

unbeldi

Indeed black KIWI shoe polish paste (not the liquid) can be astounding on black surfaces.  I have used it on 1930s Leich  handsets to Heemaf 1955 sets, indeed.

I love those Heemaf phones, but the Bakelite surface can be very dull.  KIWI makes a world of difference.
vive la différence.