"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Bad Ebay Experience

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 12, 2012, 09:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K1WI

Doug,
  I very strongly agree with you. I have been an occasional buyer and seller on E-bay almost from its inception. I have found that the vast majority of traders are totally honest and have integrity. But issues can and do occur and trying to work out the differences doesn't always work . Sometimes it is just best to "walk away" from argument. Threats and challenges just don't work.
  I recently decided that I would no longer sell on e-bay due to bidders trying to change the terms of sale after the close of auctions. In my opinion , and just my opinion , if you didn't like the terms then you shouldn't have bid ! Lately bidders seem to think its OK to void an auction because they feel the shipping cost is too high , why didn't they ask before the auction closed ? And if they didn't like my explaination for the cost why did still they argue and threaten ?  I've found most sellers will be flexible if asked up front. I know I would if I could .
  So after many years and thousands of transactions , all without a negative ever , my dealing on e-bay is over.
  Andy F     K1WI  
Andy F    K1WI

Doug Rose

Quote from: DavePEI on March 27, 2013, 07:57:09 AM
Quote from: Doug Rose on March 27, 2013, 06:39:51 AM
Seller bashing has been around since long before I have been selling on eBay. There are always two sides to every story. I think when a reputable seller is brought on the loud because of a disagreement, there is a problem with what we are doing on the Forum. I sure wouldn't be happy if it was me. The seller does not get to air their side, the buyer is judge and jury. Forum finds them guilty by posting their ID. Rethink this!
I agree - the seller name and handle shouldn't be posted.

However, it IS OK to post the situation.
I know Doug, you will always defend the seller - that is natural.
But remember, there are bad sellers on ebay, just as there are bad buyers. If one could filter out the two, then it would be a perfect world.

Dave
Dave....So "XXX" is guilty! This happened to me before I joined the Forum, I had a 500 set that everyone wanted but I didn't know how to take off the dial. If Dennis had not contacted Mark Scola to vouch for me, I would ave been out on the Loud as a dishonest seller.Who is the Forum to make that decision? I disagree with your assessment. I am not defending the seller, I am defending a person right to defend themselves on an accusation. This is wrong...jflowres
Kidphone

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 27, 2013, 08:45:37 AM
Seller bashing has been around since long before I have been selling on eBay. There are always two sides to every story. I think when a reputable seller is brought on the loud because of a disagreement, there is a problem with what we are doing on the Forum. I sure wouldn't be happy if it was me. The seller does not get to air their side, the buyer is judge and jury. Forum finds them guilty by posting their ID. Rethink this!

But remember, there are bad sellers on ebay, just as there are bad buyers. If one could filter out the two, then it would be a perfect world.

Dave
Dave....So XXX is guilty! This happened to me before I joined the Forum, I had a 500 set that everyone wanted but I didn't know how to take off the dial. If Dennis had not contacted Mark Scola to vouch for me, I would ave been out on the Loud as a dishonest seller.Who is the Forum to make that decision? I disagree with your assessment. I am not defending the seller, I am defending a person right to defend themselves on an accusation. This is wrong...jflowres
That is not at all what I said. Re-read my message.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has nothing to do with anyone's handle or any particular situation.

Stop jumping on everyone for any comment about eBay!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

ReneRondeau

Quote from: unbeldi on March 26, 2013, 04:38:01 PMHe got my negative feedback erased from his account.

Interesting. eBay's policies are quite arbitrary. I sold something on eBay over a year ago, and although my writeup said 'no international shipping' I relented and agreed to ship to Hong Kong. I sent it by EMS mail, with full tracking. It showed as received by the post office, forwarded to the San Francisco Sort Center, departing the sort center, then.... nothing. It was lost. The buyer filed a claim with Paypal and the money was instantly withdrawn from my account.

That's all understandable. But then the buyer gave me negative feedback and called me a "deceiver." WHAT??? There was unmistakable proof of shipment, it was clearly out of my control.

I called eBay to complain about this totally unjustified negative, and also to complain that I was being slandered. They refused to remove it, saying "feedback is just a buyer's opinion". The fact that it was provably, demonstrably false did not sway them. I carried that negative as a badge of shame for a year until it finally dropped off and I regained the 100% rating I'd always had since 1998.

Like a lot of people, I still have a love/hate relationship with eBay. But bit by bit, the hate is growing larger than the love.

wds

I bought a phone off Ebay, was supposed to be delivered last week.  Tracking showed it delivered to my house (usps).  No box on my porch.  I called usps, they promised me a phone call within 24 hours with information about the delivery.  No call.  I called back every day for 6 days, they promised me a return call within 24 hours.  No returned calls.  The last call I made they said the box had been stolen.  I asked how they arrived at that conclusion, and why they hadn't considered that maybe they delivered it to the wrong address.  Nope, the box was stolen.  I didn't tell them that the box was delivered to a neighbor several streets over and that it had been brought to me 4 days after the alleged delivery.  USPS was more concerned with covering their butt than actually investigating the problem.  

Not sure why the neighbor waited 4 days to bring the box to me.
Dave

Doug Rose

"I know Doug, you will always defend the seller - that is natural."

Sorry Dave...that comment got me. I thought I was defending fairness. Really...just plain old being fair. Level playing field. no more, no less. I am a collector and I do buy phones, really I do!

Disclosing a sellers name and ID because one person thought the seller was wrong, just hit a nerve. Seller will never be able to tell his side of the story. Forum members are putting him on the bad seller list.

There is the remote chance the the buyer was wrong.

Sellers reputation is now sullied. Look it up. humor.  Suddenly everyone who has a couple of phones is an expert. I have a few phones myself and 36 years or experience collecting telephones and no way am I an expert.

Please...let's not go down the road that or predecessors did. The Forum is the place to be....Doug

Kidphone

DavePEI

Clarification:

No Seller's names or IDs should be posted, as even if correct, the forum could be held liable. In the future when a seller's ID is disclosed in a negative manner, it will be removed.

It is ok to discuss a situation where you have had trouble with an eBay transaction, but as I told Doug in the copied message, it is NOT ok to disclose the seller's name or ID.

There was certainly nothing in my message supporting the fact that the seller was wrong or even that the person complaining was wrong.

In fact, I only came across this thread this morning, and my message was an attempt to control the free posting of seller's names for the good of the forum.

If you must disclose a seller's name or handle, do so in a private email, and not on the Forum.

My statement remains the same: there are good sellers and good buyers on eBay, just as there are bad sellers and bad buyers on eBay.

Dave

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dennis Markham

I agree with both Doug and Dave on this issue.  I think people should be very careful about making statements about a seller that may be libelous.  If a statement made is true, there is no libel.  But one person's bad expierence does not (in my opinion) constitute a dishonest seller.  Each person (buyer) must make up their own mind about an individual seller using all the information that is known.....

If someone has a complaint about a certain eBay seller then as suggested, I think it's best to keep particular names out of the public eye but rather, discuss them in a personal e-mail.

A good discussion about anything is good on the Forum. I don't particularly like to see it escalate to something more.  The problem with the written word is that it or they (the words) can be read the wrong way and some offense taken.

Opinions expressed on this forum are those opinions of the poster, not the necessarily the opinions of the Forum .  That is mentioned when members Register for the forum.

Nick in Manitou

I should point out that while I mentioned that I was keeping a list of sellers that folks had problems with, my intention was to ensure that if I was thinking of buying an item from someone whose name was on the list, that I would be extra-sure to communicate and ask questions prior to making a purchase. 

I know that it is pretty easy in the world of electronic communication for things to get misunderstood.

I figured that if I know someone on the forum had a less than pleasant experience, I should be vigilant, but shouldn't automatically assume that the seller was a crook.

Doug Rose

thanks Dennis and Dave. I would hope someone would edit out the sellers ID and name out of this thread for future readings. The damage has been done but hopefully the Forum will glean the truth out of what was said.

I am troubled that the Forum might become "vendetta blog" with members who have issues with others. The Forum is the place to be and Dennis and his crew do a marvelous job.

I think our passion showed as this got a little rough in spots and I apologize for any hurt feelings I caused. It was not my intention.....Doug
Kidphone