News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Speaking of vintage Kitchens.........

Started by Bill Cahill, February 06, 2009, 07:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

What kind of wall phone are you going to put in your kitchen, Bill?
Our family phone was a standard black 554 in the kitchen and I had to stand on a stool to use it around 1963.  Now for some reason I like the early yellow 554s but I don't have one.

Bill Cahill

That's the problem We only had a black wall phone in the kitchen for a brief while. My mother wanted a different color, so, about 1964 ish, she went to a yellow phone. It wasn't modular.
I have a yellow phone, but, it's modular. I have a 56 black phone with a cracked case, and, not original.
Shold I jury rig my modular parts onto the black one?
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

HobieSport

I don't know about swapping parts, Bill.  If it works and you're happy...
I'm just a newbie leaning toward what Ben said about not swapping parts in general, and appreciation of frankenphones as found, but hey, if the cracked housing of your black '56 554 isn't original...
What year is your modular yellow 554?

Here's a yellow '62 554 on Ebay.  Pricey, perhaps, but in good condition it seems, and I guess pretty darn close to your Moms' phone:

http://tinyurl.com/cw57xs

Bill Cahill

Thanks. I e mailed the seller, and, asked if he could give a better BIN price.
I doubt it, but, you never know.
I'd really like to have it.
Thanks very much for your help.
Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Steve

Thats a good looking yellow phone. I agree it's a bit high, but I would be willing to pay $50.00 shipped if I were looking for one. looks like little to no yellowing from the photos.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

HobieSport

Yep, I hope you get the yellow '62 554 Bill and hopefully at a knocked down price.
It does look to be in great shape.  I don't know the seller
Silly question; How do you tell if a yellow phone is yellowed?  I'm sort of teasing...I assume it would be faded a lighter color?
Good luck Bill and hope to see a yellow 554 in your cool 1950s kitchen soon! :)
-Matt

McHeath

Funny question on yellow phones yellowing.  I do happen to have one that is, uh, faded I guess more than yellowed.  It's whiteish on the upper surfaces and darker yellow below.  Just a Frankenphone though, chassis from 1955 but dial and housing and handset from 82. 

If it were me, on the question of what to do about converting the black phone to the yellow phones parts, I'd go ahead and do it.  It'd be  temporary fix till I could find a true hardwired yellow 554, but in the meantime it'd be yellow and a 554 and I'd just ignore that handset wire entering the modular handset hole.  When I got a 554 I wanted then I'd put all the parts back to their original owners. 

AET

I'm hoping to do a 50's kitchen once I get a permanent home too, I'm thinking more of a turquoise or aqua feel.  I am digging the yellow phone however!!!
- Tom

Bill Cahill

Quote from: HobieSport on February 12, 2009, 12:25:35 PM
Yep, I hope you get the yellow '62 554 Bill and hopefully at a knocked down price.
It does look to be in great shape.  I don't know the seller
Silly question; How do you tell if a yellow phone is yellowed?  I'm sort of teasing...I assume it would be faded a lighter color?
Good luck Bill and hope to see a yellow 554 in your cool 1950s kitchen soon! :)
-Matt

I think in that case, the lellowed part actually darkens to a somewhat hideous looking color.
I'd seen one like that. Yuch!
My yeller phone hasn't arrived yet, so, I'm getting un happy.
I won it, and, paid instantly. Where's my FONE?
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

You want me to puke??
Yucky, Pooey!!!!
Bill Cahill  :o

Bill Cahill

Please see my other post here, It Came!!!!

It did, indeed arrive today... The pics are in the other post. It will be going in my kitchen.....
Bill Cahill  ;D