News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New Years Eve @ Times Square

Started by Pourme, December 31, 2016, 03:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Two million people will gather in Times Square to watch the giant Chrystal ball fall at midnight. By the time mid night rolls around some will have been standing there in position for sixteen hours. Walk away and loose your spot. No alcohol, no restroom breaks. Tonight it wont be too cold, 40* temps expected. Previous years have been much colder.

Although I have never participated, my ex son and law has and his first hand account verifies the enforcement of these policies. I'm very happy to stay off the streets tonight and try to stay awake long enough to watch another New Year arrive safe and warm from my humble domain.

No way I could do this. Have you ever? would you ever?

Thoughts?
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on December 31, 2016, 03:02:47 PM

Thoughts?

Can't, I got a life . . .  ;)

Pourme

Benny

compubit

I've been there on New Year's Eve, but opted to pay for a party (which I'm still getting spam from the vendor many years later...).  I did the AMC Movies (all you can watch movies, "food" - and I use the term loosely, drinks - both adult and non-adult, and a midnight Champagne toast).  Had I opted to "stand" in Times Square, I would have had to be there no later than noon (and not leave), as once you enter a "pen", if you leave, you probably won't get back in.  By the time I got there at 3pm, the pens going back 12 streets were full (good weather night - cool, not cold, no rain).  I do know that after the ball drops and the TV cameras shut down, the NYC police shoo everyone away and you have to go "outward" (and can't cross Broadway) - so if you're on the wrong side of Broadway, you have to go down to about 35th street to get to the other side of Manhattan (I'm sure there was a point north where you could cross also).  I then took the 3am Amtrak back to Washington (arrived just before 7am, when Metro opened), went home and slept - I highly recommend going 1st class on this return trip - quiet, and they provided a pillow and blanket.

One year, I'd love to do it again, but stay in/near Times Square, but I need to save some Benjamin's for that...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

andre_janew

I'll probably end up watching it on television in the comfort of my Lazy Boy recliner, just like I did last year.

WEBellSystemChristian

Would I, no. Could I, no, not without bathroom breaks... :o
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Phonesrfun

I am happy just to sit at home.  I can't seem to go for an hour without a bathroom break let alone 16!
-Bill G

Pourme

God bless 'em all!...

I could never go that long!
Benny

compubit

Of course for the price of a room, one could purchase several classic phones...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Pourme

Quote from: compubit on January 01, 2017, 12:28:49 PM
Of course for the price of a room, one could purchase several classic phones...

Jim

I like the way you think!
Benny

Greg G.

Quote from: Pourme on December 31, 2016, 03:02:47 PM
Two million people will gather in Times Square to watch the giant Chrystal ball fall at midnight. By the time mid night rolls around some will have been standing there in position for sixteen hours. Walk away and loose your spot. No alcohol, no restroom breaks. Tonight it wont be too cold, 40* temps expected. Previous years have been much colder.

Although I have never participated, my ex son and law has and his first hand account verifies the enforcement of these policies. I'm very happy to stay off the streets tonight and try to stay awake long enough to watch another New Year arrive safe and warm from my humble domain.

Thoughts?

No, don't like crowds.  3 or more is a crowd.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e