News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What have you done with parts from old phones?

Started by VPNAVY, December 29, 2013, 06:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VPNAVY

Seeing I have no life  ;D  - I was bored one day and figured I would put a display together using old parts.

1.  Western Electric 315H Ringer Box Door (rest of box was totally destroyed but was able to save and refinish door)
2.  Western Electric  22 Magneto (May 14, 1914)
3.  Vintage Porcelain Light Fixture (local antique store)
4.  Low wattage light bulb from Lowes
5.  Western Electric Nameplate from Ebay.

I wired up the magneto (underneath) to light fixture.  The grand kids love cranking away and watching the light spring to life.

Doug Rose

What a great idea!! Very cool looking...really professionally made.

My phoneroom has a locked door, the grandchildren do not even know what is behind the door. Its always closed and locked and they run right past it. I have nightmares!

Welcome to the Forum....Doug
Kidphone

twocvbloke

I haven't really made anything with phone parts (though building a set of headphones made from GPO 4T receivers is quite tempting!!), but I wouldn't mind having a magneto generator to play with, I er mean demonstrate the principles of electricity generation, it's just finding a decent one that's hard... ;D

WEBellSystemChristian

That's a really cool idea! I personally wouldn't want to make something out of telephone parts, because every usable part I have goes into storage, and I someday end up using it on a phone.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Sargeguy

This reminds me of the time a few years ago I hooked up a light bulb to an old working Chicago 5-bar magneto box and sold it on eBay for $75 BIN.   The buyer had me express overnight it, at a cost of $90, to a P.O. Box in Langley VA. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

WesternElectricBen

Doug, you have never shown your grandkids your treasures? I believe it, if I had that many rarities I would do the same, but just around my brother.

Sarge, do you think they were having a power outage and needed a source of light?

Ben

Phonesrfun

When I was probably 14 I got my first wood wall phone.  I remember calling my younger brother into my room and have him hold two bared wires in his fingers, one in each hand, while I turned a little crank.  Then I graduated to having him look directly at my home made carbon arc when I turned it on.

He still hates me.   :P

Generally, I keep used parts in a bunch of boxes.  I tend not to throw them away unless they are totally trashed.  Some day I will have to scale back on what I think is good versus bad, and keep less. 
-Bill G

HarrySmith

I built a "Liquid Phone" to take to the national phone show in Shipshewanna once. I got the idea after reading about a liquid computer, someone put all the components for a PC into a fish tank. I used all old WE parts on it. It worked well and got a lot of attaention at the show. Discussed here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3115.msg42404#msg42404
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

QuoteSarge, do you think they were having a power outage and needed a source of light?

I think they needed a magneto that would put out a lot of juice.   8)
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

Another thing to do with old stretched, discolored or broken coiled cords.
Make a pen holder ;D
I wrapped it around a highlighter and put a couple of lines of crazy glue down the sides. Presto!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan/Panther

Bill;
Did you ever do the charged capacitor trick. Charge one up, and toss to to some one.
I bet you got your butt kicked a lot when you were growing up right ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 03, 2014, 01:27:59 PM
Bill;
Did you ever do the charged capacitor trick. Charge one up, and toss to to some one.
I bet you got your butt kicked a lot when you were growing up right ?
D/P

I never did a charged capacitor, but sounds like if I ever did that one, I would get my butt kicked.  Fortunately, I had the sense to do it on my younger siblings and their friends.  Trouble is, my younger brother is now taller than I am, so may be the shock therapy was good for his growth.  One thing is for sure.  I wouldn't do it to him today.

-Bill G

DavePEI

We had a shop teacher in High School who used to throw a charged Electrololyic at unsuspecting students. Shock therapy.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001