News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Buy 3, get a 4th one free!

Started by Greg G., April 24, 2010, 11:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

For tires, I always thought that was a dumb way to advertise them.  Who buys 3 tires?  Of course you're going to buy 4, just say "25% off". 

But for phones, it's a good deal.  That's the way he worded the CL ad for his phone collection at $20 each, except for the Apartment phone, which he wanted $50 for.  I picked out 5 including the apt. phone, which came to $110, but then he counter-offered and said for another $40 take the entire stash, so I did.  That comes to $15 each.

I was going to leave behind the AE90, the AE80, the intercoms, and the Signal Corps phone, but now I have them.

This was a retired telephone man, who said they all worked when he took them out of houses.  Except for the Apt. phone, which he found at a yard sale.

A preliminary inspection shows there are no cracks or chips except on the Apt. phone cone, which is chipped.  It's also missing the switch hook, but I consider that something relatively easy to fix.

Oh, one tip on searching CL.  I wouldn't have found these if I hadn't used the plural "telephones".

Without further ado, here they are.  Tell me what I got here.  Some I know, some I don't.  There seems to be a few Stromberg-Carlsons in the mix.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

The rest of them.  On the second intercom phone, I left if full size so you can see it close up.  Very nice looking handset for a lowly intercom.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Brinybay on April 24, 2010, 11:28:21 PM

Without further ado, here they are.  Tell me what I got here.  Some I know, some I don't.  There seems to be a few Stromberg-Carlsons in the mix.

I think what you have there is commonly called a "steal"

How many apratment phones do you now have now?

You also have a couple of intercoms and a toaster phone, a couple of AE50's an AE90, an AE80, an AE40, and a stromberg-Carlson 500 look-alike.

You, my friend, got one Heck of a deal!
-Bill G

foots

Wow! What a good find and a good deal.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan/Panther

Brinybay;
Don't you love it when it all falls together. Great find, Great price.
The buy3 get one free, is like what sounds cheaper $2.00, or $1.99. It's all mind games and we end up on the losing end.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 25, 2010, 12:56:34 PM

I think what you have there is commonly called a "steal"

How many apratment phones do you now have now?

This makes 2, one with a dial and one w/o, one needs a switchhook, one doesn't, one needs a new transmitter, one doesn't.  I don't like robbing one perfectly good phone for parts, so I'll be looking for a switchhook, transmitter, and maybe a dial for the other one, but I may now decide to leave it w/o one.  I haven't even gotten around to troubleshooting it yet.  The buttons on the new one have more distinctive labels.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 25, 2010, 12:56:34 PM
You also have a couple of intercoms and a toaster phone, a couple of AE50's an AE90, an AE80, an AE40, and a stromberg-Carlson 500 look-alike.

You, my friend, got one Heck of a deal!

And I didn't have to drive to Portland this time!  He was 15 minutes away in Edmonds.
- Mike Row
e

McHeath

Those apartment phones are really interesting, that they have a direct link to the janitor or manager is curious.  I guess apartment living was different back in the day.

Quite the phone haul you got, and for a per piece price that can't be beat!